Variegated Apple Tree Sucker

Reaction score
Country
United States
We recently (last August) purchased a house that has two mature apple trees so I am still in the process of learning all about apple trees and how to care for them. They have quite a few suckers that just keep coming back, but a few days ago I noticed one sucker that has variegated leaves. Is this normal? Does it indicate or problem or is it a quirk of nature? Should I let it grow and try to transplant it even though it wouldnt produce the same apple as the tree? All of the other suckers have normal leaves.

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• 20180523_124022.jpg
    20180523_124022.jpg
    314.2 KB · Views: 450
Reaction score
Country
United States
That was interesting, thank you! I'm not sure if that's the same thing but I will keep monitoring it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’m sooo jealous that you found that sport variegated apple!! I’m obsessed with finding the one of a kind variegated plants and have so many amazing finds in my collection. So did the variegated apple come back if so you should try to propagate it via air layering unless you can dig up and separate it from the mother.

Ask a Question