Using honey for root growth

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

I took some honeysuckle plant clippings from a plant that grows wild at an outdoor camp that I work at. I am trying to use honey as a natural root starter. I applied the honey in two different ways based on a video I saw. First, I trimmed the leaves off about 7 inches from the stem from two separate plant clippings. I then scraped off a little of the outer bark from the bottom of the stem. I dipped both stems in honey. I planted one directly in soil and watered it. I placed the other one in a plastic pint container with a mixture of tap water and 1 teaspoon of honey.

The one in the water seems to be doing well. The leaves are still green. The other one in the soil, the leaves are drying out. I transferred it to a water/honey solution to see if I can salvage it. It seems that the water/honey solution is working well. How often should I change the water or add honey to the existing water?

Also, would it hurt to add a little liquid fertilizer (made from fish) to the water/honey mixture?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Kinda cool to try new things! Honey has some pretty serious anti fungal and anti bacterial properties. As far as root rot or damping off goes I bet it helps.

Ask a Question