Unusual shaped fruit - square watermelons

Reaction score
ACSAPA think I also, would feel uneasy about eating a pear or any other shaped fruit, in the shape of a protector of travelers and children - has a certain chill about it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I found this mold on the site that you posted.
This is a little weird. This reminds me of those Japanese statues of Jizo, the deity that protects travelers and children.
I would be a little too freaked out to eat this pear.

ROFLOL! You should be too freaked out to eat that! First, it looks like a candle, but despite that it's just creepy, lol. I'm not even that crazy about eating pears to begin with, but this would put me off them altogether.

Reaction score
ACSAPA think I also, would feel uneasy about eating a pear or any other shaped fruit, in the shape of a protector of travelers and children - has a certain chill about it.

This little guy is Jizo. I totally think the pear looks like him.
That's just wrong.

fa43eb416be296eb988e7f331f920b71.jpg

Reaction score
I just read that Jizo protects women, not just children and travelers.
I read a story that he was sad that children who died before the age of 2 had to go to a cave with flowing milk to await reincarnation without anyone to take care of them so he stayed there with them and took care of them.

8f51e50e8fcab401a3b6b62198b4aa87.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I read a story that he was sad that children who died before the age of 2 had to go to a cave with flowing milk to await reincarnation without anyone to take care of them so he stayed there with them and took care of them.

Aw, I'll have to look for Jizo, I could use his protection :)

This little guy is Jizo. I totally think the pear looks like him.
That's just wrong.

fa43eb416be296eb988e7f331f920b71.jpg

This image is far cuter than that creepy pear, lol! Is Jizo a twin being? Why are there two of him? In the second photo you shared there are three figures. What's up with that?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It's the first time when I hear about square watermelons, what a funny idea:) I don't think that I would like to buy them or grow them though, I prefer when everything is as natural an possible.
A heart-shaped watermelon would be cute, but I still prefer to receive chocolates on Valentines Day:)

Reaction score

8f51e50e8fcab401a3b6b62198b4aa87.jpg

Are these three figures depicting what Jizo protects - travelers, small children and women?

Think these three little figures, are just calling out to placed under the branches of an Acer or Japanese Maple, where they would look very attractive and of course be very much at home.

It's the first time when I hear about square watermelons, what a funny idea:) I don't think that I would like to buy them or grow them though, I prefer when everything is as natural an possible.
A heart-shaped watermelon would be cute, but I still prefer to receive chocolates on Valentines Day:)

Would agree, fruit would not be my first choice either, as a Valentines Day gift, my preference would definitely be flowers
However, I would love the surprise and novelty value,of receiving a heart shaped watermelon on Valentines Day !

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I found a picture of a heart-shaped watermelon, I must say that it looks quite pretty, I'm not sure if it's convenient to eat it though:

20090904-watermelonheart.jpg

And here are square watermelons:

square-watermellons_1.png

Reaction score
I found a picture of a heart-shaped watermelon, I must say that it looks quite pretty, I'm not sure if it's convenient to eat it though:

20090904-watermelonheart.jpg

And here are square watermelons:

square-watermellons_1.png

Wow, I'd definitely like to receive one of those and agree with you, its quite a size, definitely more than a meal for two !

Pretty as well, can just imagine it with a red ribbon wrapped round it, which thanks to your pictures, has made me even more certain, that not only will I be growing square watermelons next year, but will be having a go at heart-shaped ones also.

I had seen the pictures of the square watermelons before and would have liked to have included them, but to be honest, at the time wasn't quite sure how to upload pictures, so would like to thank you Claudine, for uploading not only pictures of the square ones, but the heart-shaped ones as well, so that everyone can see them. So once again many thanks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
No problem:). Do you know how to upload pictures now? It's very easy, all that you have to do is to click the small "Image" icon above your post and paste a linik in a window that will show up.
As for watermelons, I'm sure that you'll manage to grow some nice shapes. Remember to take pictures and to share them with us:)

Reaction score
Aw, I'll have to look for Jizo, I could use his protection :)

This image is far cuter than that creepy pear, lol! Is Jizo a twin being? Why are there two of him? In the second photo you shared there are three figures. What's up with that?

Most Jizo statues are one guy. But I read a story called Three Jizos, where a desperately poor old man gave his food as an offering to 3 Jizo statues. When it was cold, he took off his clothes and dressed all three Jizos because he couldn't leave any one of them naked in the cold.

At the end of the story, the 3 Jizo statues walked away and left the old man and his wife with gold and riches to thank him for his kindness.

When travelers in Japan come to a fork in the road, there's usually one little Jizo statue there, to help them choose the right road.
Sometimes near cemeteries, there are hundreds of Jizo statues, with little red hats and bibs, watching over the souls of children that have passed away.

08dc11f5c791dc8720dadd51820b68b8.jpg

Reaction score
No problem:). Do you know how to upload pictures now? It's very easy, all that you have to do is to click the small "Image" icon above your post and paste a linik in a window that will show up.
As for watermelons, I'm sure that you'll manage to grow some nice shapes. Remember to take pictures and to share them with us:)

Yes I do, and thank you once again. Theres no stopping me now, and you've probably already noticed, that some are already beginning to appear in various places

You can be sure that, next year, I will definitely be posting pictures of my square watermelons and any other shapes I manage to grow.
Hopefully others will be joining me too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Unfortunately, watermelons don't grow in my climate zone, so I can't join you. All watermelons that I've ever eaten were store-bought and they had regular shapes. I had no idea that that you can get them in so many different shapes before reading this thread:)
ACSAPA, this is a very sweet story, thank you for sharing it.

Reaction score
This is so neat! Has anyone tried the same thing with pumpkins? I remember when I was little as an experiment my mom had us grow a cucumber in a bottle!

Ask a Question