Unusual shaped fruit - square watermelons

Reaction score
Square watermelons, I think they are a great idea and yes they are real and have been quite a hot topic in the press just recently, not just for their shape.

Watermelons as we all know , take up an enormous space in the fridge and because of this, a Japanese Farmer has come up with a solution and introduced a cuboid watermelon that will fit in the smallest of fridges, not only that, but because of its cuboid shape, it stacks well too, making it much easier to transport. There is a downside however, they are extortionately expensive with the lowest price being around 85 dollars, apparently the Russians are prepared to pay double that!
Since the introduction of the cuboid shape many other shapes have been added, such as pyramids and even a heart shape,
Imagine receiving a heart shaped watermelon on Valentines Day.

If like me you can't justify the cost, it is, I'm told relatively easy to grow a watermelon in any shape you desire.
To grow a cuboid shape, all you need is an acrylic box that will let the sunlight in, you then place the baby melon in the box and let it grow. I'm told that you need to make sure, that the box is very slightly smaller than the melon size quoted on the seed packet, and that the box should be, not too big or too small either, for obvious reasons.

I shall definitely be having a go at this next year, and have to admit my mind is going overboard with ideas, like how people will react to the sight, of square melons growing in my vegetable patch, and of course there is the option that, if I was feeling a bit broke I could even sell a few!

Do you think cuboid watermelons are a good idea, would you try and grow some, if so what shape would you choose?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I don't know about cubed watermelons, but I love that you can buy these molds that encourage your squash or cucumbers to grow into specific shapes so that when you slice the fruit, you can get heart or star shapes.

Reaction score
ChanellG, growing shaped fruit is relatively new to me and although I knew that squash could be shaped into various forms, was not aware, that you could also, do this with cucumbers, in which case I'm thinking, shaping a zucchini in this this way, would also be possible.
You mention molds for heart and star shapes, what type of store, would you normally find these in?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
This was something I saw on Pinterest. Of course, now I can't figure out where I pinned it to, but I did find a link to a source for the molds:
http://www.fruitmould.com/star_and_heart_shape_cucumber_molds/p1546706_7629639.aspx

The price listed on this page can't possibly be correct, but at least it gives you an idea. It's interesting that this is done because with carrots, if they come in contact with anything in the soil their shape will be deformed. I wonder if molds could be an interesting way to get picky kids to eat vegetables...

Reaction score
Thank you for pointing me in the right direction ChanellG, I shall be searching the web for suppliers. Had a look at the site you mentioned and although they have quite a variety of shapes, would agree, there is something very wrong with the prices, which makes me a little suspicious and therefore wouldn't be ordering from them.
Interestingly shaped fruit and vegetables, I think would be a great way of encouraging not just picky kids but everyone, to eat more fruit and vegetables.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
You're welcome! If you could grow foods in one of those shaped molds it would save the time for cutting them later. The heart shapes are apparently quite popular at Valentine's Day - a saw somewhere online that a local nursery sells them every year. (Foods not the molds.) I've seen some cute ideas on Pinterest though with foods cut into little heart shapes.

Reaction score
I only recently, while investigating the cuboid watermelons, came across the fact, that heart shaped watermelons have become very popular and very much in demand as a Valentine's Day gift, but to have a choice of heart shaped fruit and vegetables, to suit everyones pocket and taste is a wonderful idea, and am sure ChanellG that the local nursery you saw online, has a roaring trade especially around Valentine's Day, although I think, heart shapes always seem to be popular, whatever the time of year, as they can convey so many messages.

Reaction score
Wow. I have seen the square melons but not the others. What an awesome idea! You could really get kids to eat their veggies if they were in unique shapes.And your garden would look very neat for pictures!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
OMG, heat shaped watermelons? I think people here would flip out, lol! Watermelon is a summer thing here, though supermarkets get them shipped in from other places. I keep getting volunteers coming up in the compost bin, but I am not up to the challenge of growing watermelon this year. Though I have to admit, you now have me wanting to see if I can coax some into a heart shape, lol.

Reaction score
I find that really weird just because it seems so unnatural and who knows, there could be some side effects to it. Although only the physical shape is changed, it might have some internal changes. I think scientists should really experiment on them and find differences. I might sound kind of demanding, but you can never be too protective.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I find that really weird just because it seems so unnatural and who knows, there could be some side effects to it. Although only the physical shape is changed, it might have some internal changes. I think scientists should really experiment on them and find differences. I might sound kind of demanding, but you can never be too protective.

I would agree with you when it comes to messing around with foods, but this is one instance where I think it's safe to say that using something like a mold to manipulate the shape something grows into is not going to change it's molecular makeup or turn it toxic. As long as the molds used are of a safe material there shouldn't be any problems with the shaped food.

Reaction score
Wow. I have seen the square melons but not the others. What an awesome idea! You could really get kids to eat their veggies if they were in unique shapes.And your garden would look very neat for pictures!

Don't know about the vegetable garden looking neat - more like odd! Am sure that next year, with all the unusual shaped molds, that I plan to experiment with, my vegetable patch will become, the center of great amusement and curiosity, for my neighbors.

Reaction score
OMG, heat shaped watermelons? I think people here would flip out, lol! Watermelon is a summer thing here, though supermarkets get them shipped in from other places. I keep getting volunteers coming up in the compost bin, but I am not up to the challenge of growing watermelon this year. Though I have to admit, you now have me wanting to see if I can coax some into a heart shape, lol.

I agree, eating watermelon in the winter is not something that automatically springs to mind, as being enjoyable, heart shaped or not. However, the Russians apparently, are prepared to pay up to 300 dollars for a square or heart shaped watermelon at any time of the year and their winter is down right cold!
I'm all for you having a go, at coaxing one of your volunteers, in the compost bin, into a heart shape, the fact that they keep volunteering, tells you they're up for it!

Reaction score

I too, am also cautious, when it comes to making sure that I only eat unadulterated foods and would also agree with everything that ChanellG has already said.
I would however add, that since researching this topic, have found that in the 20 years that square watermelons and other shaped fruit and vegetables, have been in production, there has not been a single report regarding any adverse effects.
Providing the fruit or vegetables are grown in the normal way with a non toxic mold, cannot see any problem. Especially when compared to the dangers of eating traditionally shaped fruit and vegetables, that have been grown or handled in unhygienic conditions, such as the cucumber scare a while back!!

Reaction score
This was something I saw on Pinterest. Of course, now I can't figure out where I pinned it to, but I did find a link to a source for the molds:
http://www.fruitmould.com/star_and_heart_shape_cucumber_molds/p1546706_7629639.aspx

The price listed on this page can't possibly be correct, but at least it gives you an idea. It's interesting that this is done because with carrots, if they come in contact with anything in the soil their shape will be deformed. I wonder if molds could be an interesting way to get picky kids to eat vegetables...

I found this mold on the site that you posted.
This is a little weird. This reminds me of those Japanese statues of Jizo, the deity that protects travelers and children.
I would be a little too freaked out to eat this pear.

Ask a Question