Unused brine

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
We are not getting enough cucumbers at once to pickle 6 jars. So I was wondering if I put the leftover brine in the refrigerator and use it when we have more cucumbers to pickle?

Just to be clear, I'm talking about brine that never touched a cucumber or was poured into a jar.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I have read, an also used, brine from a regular pickle jar, when I used up all the pickles. I use the brine to brine raw chicken legs, breasts etc, pork chops would work also, an over night. Then cook accordingly.

there is also another brine I try to get for raw chicken, the feta cheese brine, its awesome. Truly both works.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Are you doing crock style or a vinegar base brine?

Vinegar base should be fine in the fridge for weeks or longer.

Crock brine (saltwater basically) should keep well too if you give the bacteria something to eat. It makes it's own acid. But a fridge is too cool, 65 to 70 is better.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
Yes I'm doing a very simple vinegar brine.

We are getting about 6 cucumbers a day. They are mini white cucumber variety.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
We are not getting enough cucumbers at once to pickle 6 jars. So I was wondering if I put the leftover brine in the refrigerator and use it when we have more cucumbers to pickle?

Just to be clear, I'm talking about brine that never touched a cucumber or was poured into a jar.
The Dutch keep the juice from pickled beetroot to re-use for eggs:
Now I'm aware that brine is a little different, but it's still, basically a preservative.
If in doubt, can the leftover brine!

Ask a Question