Turkey Christmas Dinner and all the trimmings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
you make what for the whole week. "enough stuffing to last the whole week" ? I have done triple and used a side bowl to bake it in oven, same method. Just to me, its bother with wrapping, freezing, and room in freezer etc. even right now I have stuffing left. But to each its own.
Yes I've done triple of the stuffing mix. I don't want to mess around doing that sort of thing on Christmas Eve, when I've got a homemade cake to ice. Also I've got dog walking to do, 4 times a day. But as you say all to their own.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Now, there my cake would be done and frozen way prior to Christmas Eve. and the icing made days before.
and I make and freeze raw cookie dough in October. they are in a long tube, so just slice , sprinkle with color and bake. done.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
So we have 2 domestic goddesses here, Logan and Esther. Me, I would get away with the least possible. No alcohol! Just carrots, sprouts, sugarsnaps or beans if I can get hold of cheap ones. Won't go out in a car either. I was a nightmare getting out of the town centre last Christmas. Thank heavens the chauffeur had the intelligence to get into side streets and then hit the main road..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
With you there @Logan (y).......do as much as I can before the 'big day'.......much more important things to do than faff around in the kitchen.......for starters lots of catching up and relaxing with our 'boys'......only get to see them a couple of times during the year, so certainly don't want to slave away in the kitchen.......:)

I'm no longer a complete veggie , but baby sis is still. Thanks , yes I Know all about how to eat well on a veggie diet and still consume all the right nutrients and vitamins. Protein is also easily overlooked if you're not careful. My real problem stems from my dislike of dairy ......so have to ensure I get calcium from other sources .....which is pretty easy really:)(y)

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Morrisons roast chicken for us; sage & onion stuffing out of a box bought at Morrison's; job done. What isn't eaten in two days all the local cats dine free.Each year at Morrison's I'm asked "which chicken" to which I reply "do they have names?" :D

Peeling onions with all the tears no way; Morrison's diced onions from the freezer section saves the hassle; just Bron and I Christmas and Boxing Day; no fuss; no drama and definitely no hassle.

I'm in no way religious but I believe in this especially when applied to me;

“peace on earth and goodwill to all men,”

Roll on Easter. :)(y):D

Kind regards, Colin.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Dairy products are sources of a lot of health problems. Son used to bloat and f^^^ and was very ill. Then he was told to stop having milk and that seemed to have solved the problem. But I am a bit worried as teens should have a lot of dairy products for bone development.

I will definitely have a cold lunch and a warm dinner this year.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Now, there my cake would be done and frozen way prior to Christmas Eve. and the icing made days before.
and I make and freeze raw cookie dough in October. they are in a long tube, so just slice , sprinkle with color and bake. done.
I made my cake in February, it's in a air tight container steeped in sherry. I'll marzepan it,then put royal icing on, can't freeze that. I like to make fresh pastry and make them on the same day. But i make a lot over the weeks and not just for Christmas.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Yep, @Logan lots of my UK and Scotland cooking friends on a cooking forum start their Christmas cake very early. and they talk a lot about mince pie (something not common in the USA) One of my UK friends, last year sent me the recipe for Christmas Pudding dated 1882 still used at Christmas for the Royals at Buckingham Palace by one of his "chef" family member that cook for them. Just pulled it out, might have a go at it, just because.

Now that my "Turkey Day" is done. I look forward to thinking about something for Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and New Years Eve and New Years Day dinners. Certainly won't be Turkey again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I guess I am the coward in the group. I no longer cook the stuffing in the turkey. I am afraid of it being poultry and not reaching adequate temperature to be safe. I cook the stuffing in a large Pyrex bowl. I make the stuffing up and add turkey broth as I baste the turkey. By cooking separately I can control the temperature better and not over cook the turkey and have it be dry.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
@Silentrunning as long as you have the oven at the right temperature,it won't be a problem. I know I'm not supposed to stuff the bird at both ends but, it's ok. I check inbetween the legs, down the side of the breast, make sure that it's not pink. Also if you stab it with something in the thickest part,if the juices aren't red it's cooked. On wrapping of the frozen turkey,it gives you temperature and how long to cook it. Also their self basting but,I do grease the foil so it doesn't stick to the skin.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Dairy products are sources of a lot of health problems. Son used to bloat and f^^^ and was very ill. Then he was told to stop having milk and that seemed to have solved the problem. But I am a bit worried as teens should have a lot of dairy products for bone development.

I will definitely have a cold lunch and a warm dinner this year.
What about soya milk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question