Tulip....lone survivor

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I was thrilled to bits that the tulip bulbs I had lifted and kept in my garden shed and then planted in a pot had come up. This one I'd forgotten about and it came up in my garden all on its on. Independent little thing and really quite spectacular. I actually tried to lift it and broke it so that's why it's in a vase. That's obviously a no-no! I'll know next time. And of course my usual table runner display
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    170.6 KB · Views: 304
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is so nice to see the tulip and your table runner is quite comfortable there :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It's a lovely tulip and your table looks beautiful:) I especially like the cat. What a cute little thing!:love:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
I have several tulip bulbs that I keep in the yard. Every year or so I have to split off the baby bulbs. No matter how carefully I try it seems there are always bulbs that get sliced in half. For years I would just throw those bulbs away, but an older woman at the garden center told me they will usually still grow. So when the tulip is done flowering just put it in a protected area below the freeze line and see if it comes back. I always add wood chips and holly tone to the mixture, but there other bulb boosters you can use. Good Luck!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I have several tulip bulbs that I keep in the yard. Every year or so I have to split off the baby bulbs. No matter how carefully I try it seems there are always bulbs that get sliced in half. For years I would just throw those bulbs away, but an older woman at the garden center told me they will usually still grow. So when the tulip is done flowering just put it in a protected area below the freeze line and see if it comes back. I always add wood chips and holly tone to the mixture, but there other bulb boosters you can use. Good Luck!
Thanks Mockingbird. I'll keep trying but I think I'll keep them all in containers, that way I don't have to remember where I left them. I've actually bought some in flower on the weekend and put them with my orchids(which are in their own pots within this large one so they can stay cosy).
image.jpg
image.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Thank
image.jpeg
I had attempted to upload this photo with my post as the tulip is the theme but somehow mucked it up. Thank you Claudine and IcyBC. It is most important that the "display" is comfortable.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I could only marvel at your photos. Obviously, we don't have that because tulips don't grow in a tropical place like ours. But there are tulips in big flower shops that I sometimes buy. Oh, they are expensive, more expensive than big roses understandably because those tulips are imported from the Netherlands (according to the sales attendant of the flower shop).

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
Tulips? I only see them in pictures. I love them though and marvel at seeing one sitting at your table. I only wish I could grow them too!

Reaction score
Beautiful tulip and cat :) I love the decor in your home, so elegant and classy :) I really appreciate you let us know you through the pictures of your home, I hope I can do the very same soon when I start planting and experimenting again.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Beautiful tulip and cat :) I love the decor in your home, so elegant and classy :) I really appreciate you let us know you through the pictures of your home, I hope I can do the very same soon when I start planting and experimenting again.
Thank you Trellum. It's nice to share with fellow people who are passionate about gardening and I enjoy your posts without pics so they will only be a bonus.:)

Last edited:
Reaction score
@DeborahJane Aww Deb, you are such a sweetheart! I promise I will post them soon, I haven't post them earlier because I still had to find a place to host them, but I already did :) I just need to upload them and I'll be set (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
Tulips are beautiful. I plant tulip bulbs for yard customers. Sometimes I come across bulbs with empty shells. These are quite old. They are thrown away.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a few tulips, orange ones and some small scarlet ones, but I also have some yellow 'Turkish' tulips someone gave me. They are a bit different shape flower and growing habit, but recognisably tulips. Last year I didn't get round to dead heading them, and they set seed. I have planted a couple of trays with gravel on the top and put them in the lee of the greenhouse. Waiting expectantly for Spring, about another four or five months, you never know :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
TBH I am not sure. The missus tells me the dwarf red ones are a variety called 'Red Riding Hood', she planted them. They have a nice stripe in the foliage as well, it is a lovely variety. The orange ones are survivors of ones I have picked up along the way over the years, nothing special, my feeling is that they are later.

Ask a Question