tulip bulbs, are they rotten?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
India
My uncle recently got me a packet of darwin hybrid tulips from holland.
I fear some of them are spoilt. Some have cuts on them while some are turning patchy brown.
Are they lost or will they survive. Should i cutoff the brown part?
None of them are soft or wet or stinking.
Please suggest what to do...... should i quarantine these? I plan to move them in fridge soon for starting the chilling process

Attachments

• 20170929_134243.jpg
    20170929_134243.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 2,147

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I think they are fine!

The one on the far right doesn't look too good.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
India
I think they are fine!

The one on the far right doesn't look too good.
okay, thanks...... so should i throw it away?

Hehe....yes i have read that article already..... thanks for suggesting, anyway

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning, Vishu! Keep those two apart when you stratify them. Or Ask @Verdun .. I'm no expert. Or ask @Owdboggy .They know more than me.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
My uncle recently got me a packet of darwin hybrid tulips from holland.
I fear some of them are spoilt. Some have cuts on them while some are turning patchy brown.
Are they lost or will they survive. Should i cutoff the brown part?
None of them are soft or wet or stinking.
Please suggest what to do...... should i quarantine these? I plan to move them in fridge soon for starting the chilling process
@Vishu1708 they'll be fine.Don't cut them, that will spoil them. As long as their not soft.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@Vishu1708 Make sure your nerine bulbs are exposed to the sun

Here

When planting, make sure that the roots are spread out and only the bottom half of the bulbs are below the compost level. The top half of the bulb must remain above it. Wait until the roots fill the pot before planting out into the garden, at the same level.

They do best in a well-drained site with full sun and love it at the base of a sunny, south-facing wall. A good summer baking encourages plenty of flowers in autumn. Water them in well.

from
https://www.sarahraven.com/articles/how_to_plant_and_grow_nerine_bowdenii.htm

@Owdboggy has kindly pointed this out to me and his advice reminded me that I saw some wonderfully blooming nerines being planted with half or 1/3 of their bulbs exposed and they were planted next to pavement and a concrete paved front yard. So you can imagine how hot and sunny that spot should be!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
India
@Vishu1708 Make sure your nerine bulbs are exposed to the sun

Here

When planting, make sure that the roots are spread out and only the bottom half of the bulbs are below the compost level. The top half of the bulb must remain above it. Wait until the roots fill the pot before planting out into the garden, at the same level.

They do best in a well-drained site with full sun and love it at the base of a sunny, south-facing wall. A good summer baking encourages plenty of flowers in autumn. Water them in well.

from
https://www.sarahraven.com/articles/how_to_plant_and_grow_nerine_bowdenii.htm

@Owdboggy has kindly pointed this out to me and his advice reminded me that I saw some wonderfully blooming nerines being planted with half or 1/3 of their bulbs exposed and they were planted next to pavement and a concrete paved front yard. So you can imagine how hot and sunny that spot should be!
My nerine bulbs are exposed to sun...... they get full +40°c sun throughout the summer. Well drained pot with lots of water and plenty of compost.
They love it here..... the two i planted 2years ago are now 8 bulbs. But they just dont flower..... i have given up on them

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
This might help

Nerine flowers best when the bulbs are crowded tightly anyway.

They need a really sunny spot in summer in order to flower well - place the container in full sun and where it will not be overshadowed by neighbouring plants.

Water often when they first start into growth, then keep dry once they have finished flowering and overwinter in a frost-free place.

All being well, you should have flowers next autumn!

Ask a Question