My tulip bulbs dug up and taken

Reaction score
I have tried a couple times to grow tulips, they really are a beautiful flower! My only problem is that the bulbs get dug up and taken each time. I get to enjoy the flower for a short while (that is only if I buy the flower already grown) and then the bulb gets taken. I think it is squirrels, but I am not 100% sure. On years that I have tried tulips, I have seen squirrels on my deck. On years that I have not tried, I don't see as many so I have my suspicions.

Any suggestions to keep them from taking my tulip bulbs? I like squirrels and wouldn't want anything to happen to them, I just want them to stop taking my tulips! That is if it is squirrels that is taking them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
How annoying! I've heard that squirrels don't like cayenne pepper, so maybe try sprinkling that around them?

Reaction score
How annoying! I've heard that squirrels don't like cayenne pepper, so maybe try sprinkling that around them?
I will try that, thank you! Tulips are beautiful when I actually get to see them here, they are one of my favorite flowers. Any other time I don't mind squirrels, if they would just leave the bulbs alone I would be ok with them around.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
You could put a layer of chicken wire over them when they are dormant, they'll grow up through it. Didn't know tulips were eaten by anything, think they're toxic to us.

Reaction score
You could put a layer of chicken wire over them when they are dormant, they'll grow up through it. Didn't know tulips were eaten by anything, think they're toxic to us.
I am not sure if the squirrels survive after eating them if they even eat them, I just know they dig them up and take them :( I hadn't thought about chicken wire tho. They sell that at Home Depot or Lowe's, right? We no longer have any feed and grain/farming stores in town here. Sadly they went out of business.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Don't know what a Lowe's is, but if Home Depot is anything like Homebase they probably will:)

Reaction score
Don't know what a Lowe's is, but if Home Depot is anything like Homebase they probably will:)
Lowe's and Home Depot are big home improvement stores. They have everything from supplies to remodel or fix your home to lawn and garden. But they do not have animal supplies, not sure if chicken wire would be more of a farming item (they do not have farming supplies, just garden supplies.)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Do you have Freecycle over there? Be cheaper to put up a wanted advert if you only need a bit.

Reaction score
Do you have Freecycle over there? Be cheaper to put up a wanted advert if you only need a bit.
Yeah we have freecycle here but I have not tried it before, I have only heard people talking about it. That may be a good for me to try as I probably will not try the tulips now until next year - they are in full bloom now here so next year would be better. That would give me a while to get it!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Its worth doing, i've picked up hundreds of pounds worth of stuff via freecycle, given away a lot of stuff too. Its amazing what folk throw out, i've had a freezer, dishwasher, even the table that i'm typing on.

Reaction score
I used have a problem with deer eating my tulips just as the buds came up; they love hostas and day lilies as well. I discovered a deer repellent called Boboex which is primarily rotten eggs and capiscan. It lasts for at least six weeks and then can be reapplied, even when the temps are just above freezing. Not only does it deter the deer it acts as a fertilizer. Perhaps sprying the bulbs with it just before planting or the ground where you plant would convince the squirrels to stick to acorns.

Reaction score
I've had good luck protecting my bulbs by using moth balls. Be sure to sprinkle them immediately after you plant the bulbs. Squirrels are attracted to freshly dug up dirt. When they smell moth balls, they will back away and leave the bulbs alone.
If you live in a cold climate which gets snow (like I do), be sure to sprinkle a fresh round of moth balls down on the ground once the snow cover melts, and your spring flowers start to come up. That should prevent the deer from eating your tulips and hyacinths.
Deer don't like daffodils, however. So you may also want to plant a row of daffodils in front of any other spring flower you plant. The daffodils will act as a guard to protect the other flowers.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Moth balls are banned in Europe since 2008 :(

Reaction score
I'm sorry but I did not realize that moth balls were banned in Europe. In that case, sprinkle cayenne pepper around the area where your bulbs are planted.
Another option is to sprinkle coffee grounds around the planted bulbs. There may be some other options, as well. You want to put down something with an odor strong enough to scare the furry pests away but not harmful to the environment.

Ask a Question