Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Don't be sorry, it's not your fault :)

Reaction score
I've had good luck protecting my bulbs by using moth balls. Be sure to sprinkle them immediately after you plant the bulbs. Squirrels are attracted to freshly dug up dirt. When they smell moth balls, they will back away and leave the bulbs alone.
If you live in a cold climate which gets snow (like I do), be sure to sprinkle a fresh round of moth balls down on the ground once the snow cover melts, and your spring flowers start to come up. That should prevent the deer from eating your tulips and hyacinths.
Deer don't like daffodils, however. So you may also want to plant a row of daffodils in front of any other spring flower you plant. The daffodils will act as a guard to protect the other flowers.
Moth balls are extremely toxic and a hazard to the environment. Unlike using them in a closet the ones you put into your garden are exposed to the weather. Rain or snow will cause them to degrade and leech into the soil. You have many other options available that are more environmentally safe.

Reaction score
I have tried a couple times to grow tulips, they really are a beautiful flower! My only problem is that the bulbs get dug up and taken each time. I get to enjoy the flower for a short while (that is only if I buy the flower already grown) and then the bulb gets taken. I think it is squirrels, but I am not 100% sure. On years that I have tried tulips, I have seen squirrels on my deck. On years that I have not tried, I don't see as many so I have my suspicions.

Any suggestions to keep them from taking my tulip bulbs? I like squirrels and wouldn't want anything to happen to them, I just want them to stop taking my tulips! That is if it is squirrels that is taking them.
Yep I can help you out , last year I planted 50 blubs. In my back garden, used red pepper when planting, was supposed to discourage squirrels from eating my bulbs . Apparently my squirrels love hot red pepper! They ate every blub! So last fall I read to plant bulbs ,lay chicken wire over area ,use lawn staples to hold wire down , in the spring after the bulbs push up a few inches remove wire and tada! All my bulbs made it this spring .It's a pain in the fall but so worth it ,and they did try to pull wire up so using lawn staple is essential ! I have several mature Oaks on property which drop hundreds and hundreds of acorns every year but bulbs are a tasty desert for my squirrels ! Good luck and this works , babyred

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Did not know you had to protect your tulips from the squirrels. This thread has been very interesting. I have never planted tulips and don't think I will now that I know I have to work so hard to keep the squirrels from eating them.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well I am sorry to hear about that. The last thing you want after caring for them and watching them grow is to see them dug up. I hope that you can bounce back and find whatever it is that is doing it.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Well I am sorry to hear about that. The last thing you want after caring for them and watching them grow is to see them dug up. I hope that you can bounce back and find whatever it is that is doing it.

@rz3300, I don't know if you are aware of this feature... but if you click on either the name of the forum member, or the avatar picture, you can see that dconklin has not visited the forum since May of 2014. ;)

Reaction score
Country
United States
My mom had the same issue, she would have to start her tulips inside and then move them once they sprouted. Though it was prairie dogs that ate ours. Mostly though, I find that squirrels are attracted to unturned earth looking for another squirrel stash so you could cover you just turned earth and bulbs with fallen leaves or plant them with other flowers that while provide cover. YOU can plant your tulips with alliums (all of them), Daffodils, and other members of the Narcissus family, Hyacinths, and Muscari (grape hyacinth) to deter squirrels by smell. Good luck.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Tulips are not completely toxic to humans. The Dutch ate them at the end of the War. They just do not taste very nice. The petals of the flowers are edible if you are a flower eater.
We lost over 1500 tulips to badgers this Spring. Not going to replace them, way beyond our finances.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
I've had this problem before. I Had know problem in my planters & tubs/pots but then moved them all into the flower beds & lost the lot to the Squirrels I'm trying again as I have a large order of bulbs I'm waiting on! But i'm sticking to container planting them It is much easyer to protect them that way. I shall be digging out the old chicken wire to cover where possible.................Goodluck all on beating the Squirrels at there game(y) Tulips forever;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Wow. a tulip bulb is usually planted really deep. I am amazed that any animal can find those. we have lots of tulip bulbs, and lots of night walking animals. Try mothballs, or flakes. The other thing is ammonia spraying on area might stop the animal.

Ask a Question