Saving tulip bulbs

Reaction score
My mom gave my grandmother a potted tulip. Naturally, the blooms lasted only a few days and the plant looks incredibly sad now. I'd like to save the bulbs to plant in the fall so she can see the tulips again in the spring but I'm not sure how to do so. Do I cut off all the greenery or leave a stub? And what's the best way to save the bulbs so they'll be ready to plant in the fall?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Others with more experiance may have different thoughts, but I would think about planting (pot and all) in the ground somewhere now and keep it watered. When the foliage dies down remove bulb (s) from pot and plant in permanent location, don't wait for fall.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
You're supposed to let the green tops die off and then dig up and store the bulbs in a cool, dry place. I have only ever met one person who successfully was able to get tulips to rebloom from the new bulblets.

Based on past experience I'd tell you to store them and then plant them outdoors and let them do their thing. Don't use a vase indoors or a small flower pot to test things out. They need consistent and even moisture. If you don't live in a place where the ground freezes, you could just leave them alone.

Reaction score
Chanel, do you think it's the same process with the cala lilies bulbs? As for the green tops dying... what if they just don't die, even after winter? I've never understood that. Specially with cala lilies, my plant stays green the whole year... so, am supposed dig up and pick the extra bulbs? Something like that? Just curious!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
What I've always done with tulips in the garden - once the flowers die, cut the stem off but leave the leaves. This is how they get the nutrients they need. In the garden, I usually cut the leaves back a little, to about 5 or 6 ", that way they're all the same height and look neat. Then just let the leaves die naturally. Once they are dead, you can gently pull them off.

Like others have said, you could either leave them in the pot, or take them out and shake off the dirt, then store them in a dry, dark, cool place until fall. What I would probably do though, is just go ahead (once the leaves die) and plant them outside - that's what would happen "in nature".

Good luck, let us know what you decided to do and how it works out for you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I received a potted tulip about a year ago. When it withered, I planted it in my parents' garden and forgot about it;)
A few days ago, it started growing again! I think it will bloom soon.

Ask a Question