Saving flowers

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have yet another tree that may need removing. My driveway is beginig to shift and we believe one of our Live Oaks is to blame. I have been suspect of this tree for a while because it is also pretty close to the corner of the house, 5-7ft. Obviously, we cant let it stay if its doing damage to the driveway or risk to the house foundation. We have a pro coming to look at it today. In the event we have to remove it, the tree is in a small flower bed that I have a very difficult time getting thigs to grow due to the runners that come off the tree. We do have several large, nice (I believe) Canna Lilies and a nice mature Elephant Ear that I would like to save. If we remove the tree I would like them to dig up the roots as far down the bed as possible to clear it and refill with good soil and hopefully better grow the lilies and some othe plants I would like closer to where the tree is (everything I have planted there seems to die after a few weeks, probably chocked off by the runners that close).

My question here is, if I dig out the bulbs from the lilies and elephant ear (May not need to bother the EE) what is the best way to preserve them for a week or so until I can put them back int he ground? Should I expect the plant to die off this year, but hopefully return next? There are probably 20 lilies, so potting them all would be a pretty big task. Plus the bulbs are rather large, so it would take good size pots, but that is an option if its the only way. Thoughts on this? Ill probably also lose a nice Sago and Azalea (???) bush in the bargain :cautious:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Just a thought...Consider leaving the root system and even a section of the trunk, it can be used if hollowed out and plant stuff in it. The root system will die and make good soil.

I know some will be wary of ants/termites, I guess that is a concern, but I've chopped down several trees and have not had a problem thus far, but then again my yard is kind of wild so maybe that makes a difference.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Just a thought...Consider leaving the root system and even a section of the trunk, it can be used if hollowed out and plant stuff in it. The root system will die and make good soil.

I know some will be wary of ants/termites, I guess that is a concern, but I've chopped down several trees and have not had a problem thus far, but then again my yard is kind of wild so maybe that makes a difference.

Thanks, more than likely the HOA will require a replacement of some type. Id prefer a nice crepe myrtle and have them remove as much of the root system as possible. Arborist just called me and agrees that it IS doing the damage and will likely continue.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
A healthy bulb is fairly forgiving. :)

They tore down the house across the alley from me, and then hired guys to mow the lot. After they mowed everything, :mad: - I went over and snitched whatever plants I saw coming up, because they won't take too many mowings before they just give up.:(

I didn't know what type of lily I was getting, but dug them anyway. I just put them in a box and covered the bulbs with dirt, until I would have time to plant them. I was working two jobs at the time, and they were just going to have to wait. I'm pleased to say that after being mowed, dug up, and sitting in a box for three weeks, they lived!! (y) :D

Also, I understand that the HOA may not allow you to leave the stump there, (I'd ask them; like @roadrunner, I'd see it as habitat!) but I can't imagine them insisting you plant a tree within 5-7' of your house!! :eek:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
A healthy bulb is fairly forgiving. :)

They tore down the house across the alley from me, and then hired guys to mow the lot. After they mowed everything, :mad: - I went over and snitched whatever plants I saw coming up, because they won't take too many mowings before they just give up.:(

I didn't know what type of lily I was getting, but dug them anyway. I just put them in a box and covered the bulbs with dirt, until I would have time to plant them. I was working two jobs at the time, and they were just going to have to wait. I'm pleased to say that after being mowed, dug up, and sitting in a box for three weeks, they lived!! (y) :D

Also, I understand that the HOA may not allow you to leave the stump there, (I'd ask them; like @roadrunner, I'd see it as habitat!) but I can't imagine them insisting you plant a tree within 5-7' of your house!! :eek:

Oh the joys of a HOA. Actually, they have been fairly easy on us so far, and the neighborhood is very nice. Nice mature trees, nice looking landscaping, etc but are pretty forgiving with basic upkeep (I don't get nasty grams every time I go a week or two without mowing...hey it happens). But landscape changes have to be submitted through a review board and a neighbor had a bad experience with that in a similar situation. I suspect there may be more to the story there in how she approached it :cautious:. Im going to approach them with the potential damage and the fact that the tree should not have been left that close to the house to begin with and offer to replace it with a crepe myrtle (they are common here, we have several in our yard) and do not get so large nor have such an invasive root system as the live oaks.

Good to know on the bulbs. If it comes to it ill plop them all in a tote with some dirt as a makeshift planter maybe. Id hate to lose the flower for the season, but if it comes back next season ill be happy. They are impressive at 6ft tall!

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Good to know on the bulbs. If it comes to it ill plop them all in a tote with some dirt as a makeshift planter maybe
If you have a day or two before the tree guys come out to dig out the tree, it would be good to give them a good watering. That will help.

Personally, I wouldn't want any kind of tree that close to the house!! If it were me, I'd stick to "potential damage to house and driveway," and leave it at that. If the driveway is starting to look bad, throw in the word "unsightly," and that ought to get their attention! Don't offer to replace it with anything other than flowers and bushes. ;)

Just the thought of HOA's make me :mad::mad::mad:
Have never had to deal with them myself, but the things I've heard...:eek: !!!

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Ill probably also lose a nice Sago and Azalea (???) bush in the bargain :cautious:
Oh, and I don't know anything about the sago, but I do know that azaleas have a pretty shallow root system. If it is an azalea, you should be able to dig it out pretty easily. (y) Water it well beforehand, too.

Heck, dig out the sago, if you want to keep it! If you think they'll kill it, then trying to save them and failing is just work - for something that might work. Can't hurt...

Ask a Question