Tree root flare planting.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
A discussion on whether trees should be planted with their root flare above ground. Here in Britain trees are generally planted with roots completely underground.

@Chuck here are few pictures of different trees in my garden.....

I took these pictures not long after I moved to my current home. This group of five 60ft pines I believe were planted by human hand.

031.JPG

This Sycamore (in the process of being felled) I also think was planted by hand. The Sycamore beyond it to it's left with conjoined trunks, I believe to be self seeded. So both are an example of lack of root flare, both naturally and hand planted. Both trees again are approximately 50-60ft in height.

048.JPG

Below a 50ft Beech, which again I think was planted by human hand due to it's position.

072.JPG

I've mentioned their height to give an idea of age. As you can see there is no root flare, or damage or rot at the base of the trees.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
A discussion on whether trees should be planted with their root flare above ground. Here in Britain trees are generally planted with roots completely underground.

@Chuck here are few pictures of different trees in my garden.....

I took these pictures not long after I moved to my current home. This group of five 60ft pines I believe were planted by human hand.

View attachment 73074

This Sycamore (in the process of being felled) I also think was planted by hand. The Sycamore beyond it to it's left with conjoined trunks, I believe to be self seeded. So both are an example of lack of root flare, both naturally and hand planted. Both trees again are approximately 50-60ft in height.

View attachment 73075

Below a 50ft Beech, which again I think was planted by human hand due to it's position.

View attachment 73076

I've mentioned their height to give an idea of age. As you can see there is no root flare, or damage or rot at the base of the trees.
Roots DO NOT have to be exposed. The root flare must be exposed and most of the trees in the pictures show this. The root flare of a tree begins where the trunk begins to widen. Depending on the type of tree it is the actual roots may or may not be visible but the widening of the trunk is. In the first picture the only trees I see that do not have the root flare showing is the tree in the middle on the left side and possibly the one directly behind. Also these are old trees with years and years of leaf detritus that have built up around the trees. In the second picture both flares are easily seen, i.e. the reverse taper to the tree trunk, with the tree in the background showing the beginning of major roots. In the third picture it appear that grass is growing on the flare and is the only tree I can say for sure that needs attention besides the one mentioned in picture one. I would remove all of the detritus as much as possible and closely inspect the area of the removal although there isn't much one can do at this late date if there is anything amiss.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Ah, I understand your explanation more now Chuck. I was assuming what you meant by root flare were the roots slightly exposed from the ground. (y) I've not come across the term root flare before even on another forum I'm a member of. I've taken on board what you mean and have learnt something new, thank you.

Since moving here three years ago I have raked off the leaves every Autumn and it was obvious that lawn mowing's were being dumped amongst the pines too, it is all slowly rotting down. The garden and trees had been neglected and the pines are past their best. Two of them have dead branches more than halfway up, so those trees will have to be removed in the near future and maybe the others too. The Beech in the third picture has a certain amount of heave caused by exposure to wind. The lack of branches on it's left side was caused by a Rowan, you can see its stump on the boundary to the left of the Beech. This we also had felled because it was diseased and dead on one side.

It's a shame to lose any of the trees but none of them are in good health, including another pine on the other side of the garden.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ah, I understand your explanation more now Chuck. I was assuming what you meant by root flare were the roots slightly exposed from the ground. (y) I've not come across the term root flare before even on another British forum I'm a member of. I've taken on board what you mean and have learnt something new, thank you.

Since moving here three years ago I have raked off the leaves every Autumn and it was obvious that lawn mowing's were being dumped amongst the pines too, it is all slowly rotting down. The garden and trees had been neglected and the pines are past their best. Two of them have dead branches more than halfway up, so those trees will have to be removed in the near future and maybe the others too. The Beech in the third picture has a certain amount of heave caused by exposure to wind. The lack of branches on it's left side was caused by a Rowan, you can see its stump on the boundary to the left of the Beech. This we also had felled because it was diseased and dead on one side.

It's a shame to lose any of the trees but none of them are in good health, including another pine on the other side of the garden.
It all depends on the type of tree as to whether the roots are actually showing or not. For instance our oaks usually have roots showing while junipers don't. In picture 2 the tree in the background shows what most root flares are supposed to look like, the beginnings of the large roots are visible. I would guess that other trees you have would show this same thing if all of the detritus were removed. It is very possible that this condition has caused the problems you are having with your other trees. What you could do if you want to try to save the trees is remove as much as possible the buildup of layers and layers of grass and leaves and start applying molasses and cornmeal tea. The molasses will greatly speed up the decomposition process and the cornmeal tea will greatly reduce the harmful fungi.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ah, I understand your explanation more now Chuck. I was assuming what you meant by root flare were the roots slightly exposed from the ground. (y) I've not come across the term root flare before even on another British forum I'm a member of. I've taken on board what you mean and have learnt something new, thank you.

Most of the advise I have given about root flares pertains to seedlings or young trees. On old trees many if not most times there has been years where the tree has been buried too deep. The easiest way to tell if an old tree is buried too deep is that the tree trunk looks like a fence post sticking up out of the ground with no reverse taper or flare visible. Even when there is a slight reverse taper showing the tree is probably planted too deep if the base of the trunk doesn't look like the tree in picture 2. If a tree is planted too deep the damage or disease will appear a lot sooner than if the root flare was covered incrementally over a long period of time and when this happens trees go through a slower process of decline until they reach a certain point when a quick death happens.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
It is very possible that this condition has caused the problems you are having with your other trees.

The atmosphere where I live is very clean and that in turn allows a build up of lichen on trees, this takes it's toll on the branches and eventually the whole tree, not just pines but all trees. In other areas of Scotland lichen can be seen hanging from trees up to 6ft in length.

A close up of the pines below.

029.JPG

030.JPG

032.JPG

Molasses and cornmeal tea are not something we use here, in fact I wouldn't know where to buy it.

I think my trees are well passed recovery knowing their age. When I eventually replace them it will be with me members of the conifer species, but those that in maturity won't reach such a great height.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The atmosphere where I live is very clean and that in turn allows a build up of lichen on trees, this takes it's toll on the branches and eventually the whole tree, not just pines but all trees. In other areas of Scotland lichen can be seen hanging from trees up to 6ft in length.

A close up of the pines below.

View attachment 73112

View attachment 73113

View attachment 73114

Molasses and cornmeal tea are not something we use here, in fact I wouldn't know where to buy it.

I think my trees are well passed recovery knowing their age. When I eventually replace them it will be with me members of the conifer species, but those that in maturity won't reach such a great height.

Click on view transcript.

Ask a Question