Aspen tree root problem

Reaction score
Country
United States
There are 4 aspen trees in my front yard connected together over a radius of about 10 feet. They have roots and suckers that go all over my yard, under my garage, and into the backyard. I have been diligent about cutting the suckers whenever they pop up. But I am concerned that the roots will interfere with my plumbing. I would like to cut the "mother" trees down, and then continue to be vigilant about cutting back the suckers whenever they pop up until the tree dies, but I am concerned that cutting the "mother" trees down will only make the roots more aggressively seek water, and thus my plumbing. Any recommendations as to whether I should leave the trees alone or cut them down? Thanks!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well, I'm not sure and I'm not an expert, so I don't know. But, my neighbor did say that she had to replace her plumbing due to problems with roots. I don't know if it was due to the Aspen roots or some other roots.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Well let me rephrase the question and possibly pull in a little experience from those that have it to offer? What year was the house built, and where is the house located?

Reaction score
Country
United States
The house was built in 1948. I moved in two years ago and don't know much about when the trees were planted. The house is in Seattle, WA. The trees are about 10 feet from my garage, which is on a concrete slab. I know that the roots have gone under the slab because we dug up the floor last summer to put in new plumbing. So there is brand new plumbing (for a new bathroom; there wasn't any existing before), and there were roots about 1/2 inch in diameter under the concrete. I'll include a couple pictures of the roots that we found, in case that is helpful.

Attachments

• IMG_20180630_144201736.jpg
    IMG_20180630_144201736.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_20180703_211502352.jpg
    IMG_20180703_211502352.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 244
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Any chance if you know if you have terra cotta drain waste pipe? Have you peered into any cleanouts perhaps? That type drain can have trouble with roots. It is 4 foot sections of clay pipe nestled together.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The vicious trees don't actually know that the water or sewage lines have water in them until they are damaged and leaking, whereupon they seize the moment. The pipes get damaged by settling of the ground, or by movement of the ground by growing roots, or even settling of the whole house which can crush the pipes under the basement floor, too. Been there, done that. Large trees have large roots. The plumbing lines will be below the frost line, so the problem of tree roots takes longer to present in the north than in the south. There is no substitute for foresight and proactive removal. You're going to need some Round-Up, or whatever we're allowed to kill vegetation with and dab a bit on each sucker that emerges, after you cut it off . That will kill that, and only that particular node. The major stump should be treated, too, with a stump-destroying chemical. It could take a long time to free yourself of the insidious critter. It gets worse: The ground will continue to be influenced by the presence of a large root system, and as the roots recede in mass over time, that too, may change the lay of the land cracking a pipe or two. In truth, nothing is forever anyway.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We don't have aspen trees here but we do have invasive trees as bad or worse than aspens and the best way I have found to rid myself of them is by girdling the tree/trees. This should be done in the spring. It will eliminate most of the suckers. As for the other shoots that will pop up @treeguy is correct although I have never had any luck with Roundup. I use a GreenLight product called Cut Vine and Stump Killer. And if your house was built in 1948 it has clay, cement or cast iron drain pipes. PVC wasn't used until the late 60's early 70's.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone, thanks so much for the advice so far. I don't have septic; I'm on a central sewage system that goes out to the street. I don't think I have Terra cota drain Pipe; I think it's cast iron. The pipes in the original house are galvanized; and the pipes out to the garage are brand new PVC pipes.

It sounds like I should go ahead and cut down the trees and use chemicals to prevent further growth. Or the girdling method- I'm not familiar with that method so I will have to research that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi everyone, thanks so much for the advice so far. I don't have septic; I'm on a central sewage system that goes out to the street. I don't think I have Terra cota drain Pipe; I think it's cast iron. The pipes in the original house are galvanized; and the pipes out to the garage are brand new PVC pipes.

It sounds like I should go ahead and cut down the trees and use chemicals to prevent further growth. Or the girdling method- I'm not familiar with that method so I will have to research that.
Girdling is easy. Just get an axe or a hatchet and whack off the bark down into and past the cambium layer completely around the tree. This will stop all nutrients and moisture going up and into the tree thus killing it and most of the roots and would be shoots. Do this ASAP because in the spring is when the tree begins to grow again after its dormancy. There will be some shoots come up. As soon as you see any cut them off at ground level and apply the Stump Killer. It doesn't take much of the chemical, just a drop or two on the cut. It is absorbed into the root system thus killing the roots. After the tree is dead cut it down and apply the chemical to the stump. Just squirt a little on the cut stump and brush it around with an old paint brush. This will also be absorbed by more roots and killing them too. You should have an aspen free yard before summer is over.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Girdling is easy. Just get an axe or a hatchet and whack off the bark down into and past the cambium layer completely around the tree. This will stop all nutrients and moisture going up and into the tree thus killing it and most of the roots and would be shoots. Do this ASAP because in the spring is when the tree begins to grow again after its dormancy. There will be some shoots come up. As soon as you see any cut them off at ground level and apply the Stump Killer. It doesn't take much of the chemical, just a drop or two on the cut. It is absorbed into the root system thus killing the roots. After the tree is dead cut it down and apply the chemical to the stump. Just squirt a little on the cut stump and brush it around with an old paint brush. This will also be absorbed by more roots and killing them too. You should have an aspen free yard before summer is over.
I cannot agree more about do it now because of spring. The energy being brought up from the roots is tremendous this time of year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Let’s talk saving money. Since you are on central sewer you will have an inspection port. For a couple hundred dollars you can get a plumber to come out and scope your entire line. If it is solid and has no incursion you are all set. If there are faults and evidence of roots, it is too late for chemicals and tree trimming. The most effective thing to do would be to replace your service.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Let’s talk saving money. Since you are on central sewer you will have an inspection port. For a couple hundred dollars you can get a plumber to come out and scope your entire line. If it is solid and has no incursion you are all set. If there are faults and evidence of roots, it is too late for chemicals and tree trimming. The most effective thing to do would be to replace your service.
For 20$ the poster can eradicate any future problem regarding root incursion. IF,IF the poster had root incursion it would seem that in the last 2 years out of the past 70 that he would have noticed a problem. Cleanout/inspection ports would not have been mandated 70 years ago so I doubt if the house has one although he can run a camera down the toilet. Also any pre-existing violation of building codes would be grandfathered in. The poster also says the pipes are cast iron. Cast iron was a LOT better and stronger than clay and can withstand the mechanics of the roto rooting process. By getting rid of where the roots come from stops the problem. Here the costs of replacing a sewer line and hookup is about 150$ per linear foot.

Ask a Question