Tree lupin; in container?

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I sowed tree lupin seeds and had good germination. Those I planted out have not done well as we have had too much wind this "summer"

Then I came across one hiding in the mint bucket and it is a fine specimen; nearly 3 foot tall and with a lot of branches. I am wondering if it will thrive there now? I tend to have plants in containers as I can move them to safety when a gale rages, depending on the direction.

Has anyone done this please? Thank you

Reaction score
Country
United States
The common name Tree Lupin (or Tree Lupine) usual refers to one of the shrubby (not tree-like) species native to western North America, particularly California. The most commonly gorwn species is Lupinus arboreus. Such shrubby lupines can be grown in a reasonably large container as long as they have good drainage and full sun. In any case, they are usually short-lived, but fast-growing shrubs, so be sure to collect some seed from your plant to eventually grow a new generation.

There are both blue and yellow-flowered forms of Lupinus arboreus.

0246.jpeg

By the way, there is actually at least one species of Lupinus, native to tropical Mexico, that does grow large enough to be considered a small tree: Lupinus jaimehintoniana, but so far it has only been very rarely grown in cultivation. Hopefully someday seeds will become more available. I would love to try it in my own garden!

URN_catalog_HBHinton_herbarium_26160.jpg

Ask a Question