Baby mango tree leaves curling in

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,
this is my first attempt trying to grow a mango tree from seed. I have two babies Lola and Opal . I potted them about a week and a half ago. I noticed yesterday that Lola (first pic) Had a leaf curling upward and today one is curling inward. Opal’s leaves (second pic) are starting to brown at the tips. I purchased a grow light with the different color lights, and have used it for the past two days but the instructions don’t say when to use what color light and for how long, so I fear I may be doing something that’s harming them instead of helping ☹️. I have a portable heater in the room to try and keep it warm. Can any please tell me what I’m doing wrong and how to correct it?
25490BC4-6171-4910-8434-F305842504B3.jpeg
b3829ebe-04f7-4ec1-9731-51a3062651ea-jpeg.68919

Attachments

• B3829EBE-04F7-4EC1-9731-51A3062651EA.jpeg
    B3829EBE-04F7-4EC1-9731-51A3062651EA.jpeg
    55.5 KB · Views: 1,270
Reaction score
Country
United States
Good morning Chuck. Thank you for your reply. I’ve been watering every other day, would you suggest just once a week?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Good morning Chuck. Thank you for your reply. I’ve been watering every other day, would you suggest just once a week?
There is NO schedule for watering plants. You water when the plant needs it. A good rule of thumb is to water deeply when the first couple of inches of soil is DRY.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok, good to know. I have another question. When I purchased potting soil I got one for cactus and citrus because I read (or miss-read) that mangos we’re considered citrus, but I just read that they are considered a stone fruit, could the soil be causing the issue? I did get some other potting mix. Should I risk re-potting using the other soil or just leave them alone?
EE215E57-6FA9-46C0-9F64-213B05889318.jpeg
2062E17A-EBDF-4F6E-8F32-570AFB26715E.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ok, good to know. I have another question. When I purchased potting soil I got one for cactus and citrus because I read (or miss-read) that mangos we’re considered citrus, but I just read that they are considered a stone fruit, could the soil be causing the issue? I did get some other potting mix. Should I risk re-potting using the other soil or just leave them alone?View attachment 68972View attachment 68973
Miracle Grow and Miracle Grow products are absolutely one of the worst products on the market. Anything is better. But your problem is watering too often, even if you are using a "fast draining" product. Let the plant dry out a little and then repot with something like Espoma potting mix.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Miracle Grow and Miracle Grow products are absolutely one of the worst products on the market. Anything is better. But your problem is watering too often, even if you are using a "fast draining" product. Let the plant dry out a little and then repot with something like Espoma potting mix.
Hi Chuck, It’s been a while since I’ve been on the site, hope all is well with you and your family. wondering if you could help me out again. Sadly Opal didn’t recover from my over watering, Lola is holding on but not growing. I have her under a grow light and have kept it on the white setting, I do see a small bit of green like a leaf so I changed the light to the purple/blue setting, been like this for about three weeks but don’t see any change. I have germinated another seed, Eunice and just potted her today.
My actual question is will it cause problems for them if I keep the white on during the day for Eunice and then change to the purple/blue setting at night For Lola?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi Chuck, It’s been a while since I’ve been on the site, hope all is well with you and your family. wondering if you could help me out again. Sadly Opal didn’t recover from my over watering, Lola is holding on but not growing. I have her under a grow light and have kept it on the white setting, I do see a small bit of green like a leaf so I changed the light to the purple/blue setting, been like this for about three weeks but don’t see any change. I have germinated another seed, Eunice and just potted her today.
My actual question is will it cause problems for them if I keep the white on during the day for Eunice and then change to the purple/blue setting at night For Lola?
I know absolutely nothing about growing plants under artificial light. You might start another thread about growing under light.

Ask a Question