Concerns about some bushes, a young avocado, and a small palm tree-ish plant

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello! I'm here to ask for advice on helping some of our plants.
Palm.jpg

The palm tree looking one (I do not know its official name) has some brown fronds, this issue started in the past few weeks and I'm not sure what is causing it. There were some little white scale looking bugs on the fronds but I have been picking them off and there were only a few dozen or so, I doubt they're the main cause. I don't water it super frequently, it was fine until fairly recently though. Do you have any idea what is wrong? Or is this normal? Should I cut off the brown fronds or would they be able to revive? Also there's a broken frond that is still green, should I cut it off all the way or just let it be?
Avocado.jpg

The avocado tree has not grown all Summer, I'm wondering if it might have a root rot like the loquat I asked about a while ago; does it look like that is likely? How much water does a tiny avocado tree need?
TiedBush.jpg
GoodBush.jpg

The bush I have tied up is very floppy and sad looking untied, the untied bush is a different one. They both have lots of yellowing leaves, though; do they need more water? Is yellowing okay? I was thinking that tying up the floppy bush might give it a chance to strengthen its leaves and be more uppity, is my logic sound there or is it better to just let it flop? Should I pick off the very yellow leaves (I did for some of them), or trim the tips, or leave them alone, or is there anything else I can do?

I'm a beginner at this, any advice is very appreciated. Thank you for your time!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
These plants all look as if they need a really heavy watering for starters. They also would benefit from larger pots with new compost, a good slow release fertiliser, and some shade.
I wonder if you are in an area where you are experiencing very hot weather? Do you have any garden where these can go into the ground rather than pots?
Yellowing leaves usually tell you the plant needs feeding - unless this is a pot of bulbs that have already flowered? ..... in which case, the foliage is supposed to die back and the bulbs will flower again next year.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It gets moderately hot here, but not extremely; I'm in Southern California a few miles from the beach. Unfortunately I do not have an in-ground garden, I can keep them on the shadier side of the balcony though.
I'll ask my Mom about getting them nicer pots and some fertilizer.
I'm pretty sure the bush plants aren't bulbs and didn't have flowers, I'm not completely sure what they are though since they were left by the people who lived here before us.

Rue

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I'm currently growing an avocado from pit as well. I make sure it has adequate drainage to prevent root rot- I also put it out in the rain , and put it in a spot so it's shaded half the day. The leaves on yours look sun burnt, and it could also be pot bound. Repot it into something slightly bigger with good drainage. Mine sprouted in October, and is now almost 3 feet tall with a nice amount of leaves.

Ask a Question