1 year old Arborvitae help / concerns

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello Everyone,
Last fall (2017) we planted 4 Nigra Arborvitae ~12-14 ft tall. We had the landscapers dig the wholes and do the proper soil mix/etc since we basically live on a clay-pit!

Our concern is we had a pretty rough winter here in NJ, and some of the branches are outright dead, while others are yellowish. From what I have read some of this is naturally occurring and they will shed some of their older branches etc, but I am looking for some advice. They have been planted now for ~7 months, heavy water on planting, and now that the nicer weather is rolling around we have been kicking up the watering again. Trying to dig my hand into the soil to feel if it is moist and watering based on that- but typically watering each tree for ~5 minutes with a garden hose on the root ball and surrounding areas. Should we also be giving them some type of fertilizer?

Should we still water these trees heavily as they are still relatively newly planted and most likely not established completely yet? I have attached some pictures that may help with what I am concerned about.
Thank you,
Mike

Attachments

• 20180506_115213.jpg
    20180506_115213.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 322
  • 20180506_115304.jpg
    20180506_115304.jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 310
  • 20180506_115228.jpg
    20180506_115228.jpg
    334.5 KB · Views: 328
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
The answer is in your soil. Clay can be alkaline and holds the hell out of water due to its increased surface area due to small particle size. Those cedar type plants like a lower ph. What do you know about your dirt?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Dirtmechanic- the landscapers dug basically a trench for the 4 trees al lthe way across almost building a completely new planting area for them. he also under each root ball dug an additional 6 inch wide hole about 10+ inches down which was filled with rock to assist with drainage as well. They also planted them a bit above the ground - built them up. The soil he used I dont know exact details, but it was fresh dirt/soil etc. He planted many of these trees over his years, so I am hoping he knew what he was doing. Most of the trees look really good, just some spots are what have me more concerned that it's normal/isoldated to spots that got hit from the snow/ice-storm.

Mike

Ask a Question