Young Apple Tree Concerns, plus also a sad Loquat

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I have both of these plants grown from seeds, just from fruits we had around, and I am quite concerned for both of them. So-Cal weather for context.

Looking at the apple tree, he was 'wintering', I think, for a while and lost all his leaves; he just started growing them back a few weeks ago, starting on a stalk really close to his base. And he is so little yet growing flowers. Between the growing leaves all along his stalks and trying to flower when he's still so little, I am afraid he is in distress. I want to move him to a bigger pot, but I don't really know what he needs. Does this look like he's freaking out to you, or is this not actually so bad? Is there a particular pot size or soil you would recommend? Anything else I should look into for him? Currently the soil is random, it has a bunch of those water absorbent gel crystal things though. And we have been watering by keeping the aqua globes filled.
Apple flowers.jpg
Apple tree.jpg

For the loquat, he hasn't grown leaf/stalk-wise at all in a long time, not since I got back from school for sure (almost 2 months ago). He used to have a bunch of friends in the same pot as him, but they all died, I have put him in a slightly bigger pot since then. Again, random soil, I fill up the house watering thing when it is all drained. I have no idea what to do for him except keep providing water and hoping, do you have any ideas?
Loquat.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So I have both of these plants grown from seeds, just from fruits we had around, and I am quite concerned for both of them. So-Cal weather for context.

Looking at the apple tree, he was 'wintering', I think, for a while and lost all his leaves; he just started growing them back a few weeks ago, starting on a stalk really close to his base. And he is so little yet growing flowers. Between the growing leaves all along his stalks and trying to flower when he's still so little, I am afraid he is in distress. I want to move him to a bigger pot, but I don't really know what he needs. Does this look like he's freaking out to you, or is this not actually so bad? Is there a particular pot size or soil you would recommend? Anything else I should look into for him? Currently the soil is random, it has a bunch of those water absorbent gel crystal things though. And we have been watering by keeping the aqua globes filled.View attachment 64420View attachment 64421

For the loquat, he hasn't grown leaf/stalk-wise at all in a long time, not since I got back from school for sure (almost 2 months ago). He used to have a bunch of friends in the same pot as him, but they all died, I have put him in a slightly bigger pot since then. Again, random soil, I fill up the house watering thing when it is all drained. I have no idea what to do for him except keep providing water and hoping, do you have any ideas?
View attachment 64422

Thanks in advance!
You need to prune the apple. Remove all that lush growth at the bottom. It is taking energy needed elsewhere on the tree. Remove those 5 long branches that start at the bottom of the tree. Remove all the sprouts that are growing from the trunk except for the two that are directly below where the first limb starts. Next year think about removing the sprouts coming from the upper portion of the trunk. You may want one or more scaffolding branches. Also next year you should cut a portion of the trunk off. You will have to wait and see how much.

The loquat is staying much too wet and probably has root rot. Basically it is a goner but you might save it by keeping it dryer and watering it with 1 part hydrogen peroxide and two parts water.

And remember that an apple won't come true from seed and it will take about 8 years to see the first apple.

Ask a Question