Caring for a young apple tree: to prune or not to prune

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there! We planted an apple tree in March. I've read various tips on how to care it, and some tips contradict each other, so I've been left quite confused. I read one article that recommended pruning aggressively and picking off any leaves/blossoms for the first couple of years. Alternatively, our local garden centre told us to not touch it at all.

As you can see, that one branch is drooping pretty low, unable to keep itself up, and I am so tempted to prune it off. What do you guys think?
IMG_0279.JPG IMG_0280.JPG IMG_0281.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
I do not believe you need to prune apple trees normally, but I think it is so young you should probably cut back the branches to keep them from breaking or touching the ground. It could just be because of a strange weather or water and the tree being so young it didn´t adapt yet.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I had a couple of apple trees at my old house and I wouldn't do much to them. Like @petesede said I would just cut back the branches that would touch the ground or if any of them I knew would probably break. Otherwise I left them alone and they did great. We've been at our new house for a year now and I'm looking forward to planting a couple of apple trees there too, I just have to decide which kind I want. Plus there's also the little problem that we're a bit more in the country and there are deer galore which means they'll be snacking on our apples if I end up planting some.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I would trim off the bottom branches to keep them off the ground, that's all I did to my apple tree for the first 2 years, then trimmed the top so it would spread out more.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would cut the one branch on the bottom sticking out and try to replant it as a tree. I've never done it with a trimming that big. But with the smaller ones, I would dig a small hole put the branch in and fill it in with a mixture of soil and compost. My mom would add plant food but I usually wait a couple weeks until it had roots. Water often to encourage root growth and to prevent the branch from drying out. You can sell the tree later if you decide you don't want it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
This tree is such a baby! Don't cut it! Make sure you give it plenty of sunlight and fertilizer. I like to add nutrients to my dirt every few months. My apple tree likes coffee grounds and egg shells. Also make sure that you are not getting any pests. Last years bugs ate all of my apples!

Ask a Question