Fire Blight; Young Tree... Is It Too Late?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
My young tree has developed, what I am assuming to be, fire blight. I have no experience with this. Is it too late to bother trying to save it? This is what is left after trimming the visually infected branches yesterday (I wore gloves and sanitized the pruners along the way), but the trunk is oozing. (n) I have not sprayed it with anything yet... open to suggestions. The tree is small enough that I can access it's enirety if I spray. Chickens for size comparison.

Attachments

• 1F735571-9F90-4D07-BCD3-020AF66DC779.jpeg
    1F735571-9F90-4D07-BCD3-020AF66DC779.jpeg
    216.1 KB · Views: 119
  • BC5EACCB-5D3B-4346-9AB6-6B62F8B024EE.jpeg
    BC5EACCB-5D3B-4346-9AB6-6B62F8B024EE.jpeg
    201.5 KB · Views: 127
  • 064A3893-1C64-4804-8489-45EA72E2F768.jpeg
    064A3893-1C64-4804-8489-45EA72E2F768.jpeg
    212.6 KB · Views: 116
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My young tree has developed, what I am assuming to be, fire blight. I have no experience with this. Is it too late to bother trying to save it? This is what is left after trimming the visually infected branches yesterday (I wore gloves and sanitized the pruners along the way), but the trunk is oozing. (n) I have not sprayed it with anything yet... open to suggestions. The tree is small enough that I can access it's enirety if I spray. Chickens for size comparison.
This doesn't look like the fireblight we have in Texas. This looks more like some type of fungal infection, not fireblight. Fireblight also usually affect leaves and stems and I see no evidence of this. What kind of tree is this?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
This doesn't look like the fireblight we have in Texas. This looks more like some type of fungal infection, not fireblight. Fireblight also usually affect leaves and stems and I see no evidence of this. What kind of tree is this?
I cut off the blackened and dead leaves yesterday. I don't have a picture of it. Some branches were dead, some had black leaves, some had leaves with black spots and orange rings around the black. It is a Bradford Pear. I will keep looking into what it might be.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I cut off the blackened and dead leaves yesterday. I don't have a picture of it. Some branches were dead, some had black leaves, some had leaves with black spots and orange rings around the black. It is a Bradford Pear. I will keep looking into what it might be.
Blackened leaves and dead branches. That sounds more like the fire blight I know. Black spots with orange halos probably appeared after the fire blight symptoms and is a separate condition caused by the weakening of the tree. If it is fireblight there is only one thing you can do. Bring out the chainsaw and burn EVERYTHING.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Blackened leaves and dead branches. That sounds more like the fire blight I know. Black spots with orange halos probably appeared after the fire blight symptoms and is a separate condition caused by the weakening of the tree. If it is fireblight there is only one thing you can do. Bring out the chainsaw and burn EVERYTHING.
Wiil do! Thank you so much. I also need to avoid planting anything there in the future, too, correct? What a bummer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Wiil do! Thank you so much. I also need to avoid planting anything there in the future, too, correct? What a bummer.
Fireblight only affects apples, pears, roses, crabapples and another fruit I can't remember. You can plant anything except those. Peaches, plums, citrus or any other tree you want will not be affected by fireblight.

Ask a Question