Peritoma arborea. Young plant advice

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
My Peritoma arborea isn't looking too healthy. I purchased it as a 4" young plant and it survived the L.A fall and winter fine. But recently seems to be quite discoloured and lacking in some vitality.

This is my first year in California and first year of growing natives. All advice I have read so far on natives seems to advise against fertlising, but should I with this Bladderpod to give it a boost?

I have some Fox Farm fertilisers, I do have one rich in nitrogen for foliage.

Pictures below showing plant, leaf discolouration (and unknown self seeded seedling.)

Many thanks,
Thomas

IMG_8273.JPG
IMG_8275.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
Your are right about no fertilizer for natives. Don't use Fox Farms because its too acidic and would kill it. You would do better, and it would be easier, if you just removed the top Inch of loose potting soil on top and replaced if with new fresh organic potting mix, and water it in. It will take a couple of weeks for the plant to return to good health. Also, for the fastest rebound back to good health, use rain or RO or filtered water, because tap water is alkaline.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Your are right about no fertilizer for natives. Don't use Fox Farms because its too acidic and would kill it. You would do better, and it would be easier, if you just removed the top Inch of loose potting soil on top and replaced if with new fresh organic potting mix, and water it in. It will take a couple of weeks for the plant to return to good health. Also, for the fastest rebound back to good health, use rain or RO or filtered water, because tap water is alkaline.
Ah, great advice thank you.

Should I add any organic garden compost into to the potting mix? Or just the potting mix alone?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
A little fertilizer won’t hurt. Plants in containers lose nutrients faster than plants in the ground since their roots are restricted to the soil in the pot. Nitrogen is the most water soluble and is lost the quickest, the yellowing lower leaves are diagnostic for nitrogen deficiency. The key to using fertilizer or pesticides is to FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS. Oneeye is correct that over-feeding is much easier than under-feeding.
Tap water should be fine, Cali natives are adapted to alkaline soils and the potting soil is probably quite acidic since it’s mostly organic matter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
A little fertilizer won’t hurt. Plants in containers lose nutrients faster than plants in the ground since their roots are restricted to the soil in the pot. Nitrogen is the most water soluble and is lost the quickest, the yellowing lower leaves are diagnostic for nitrogen deficiency. The key to using fertilizer or pesticides is to FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS. Oneeye is correct that over-feeding is much easier than under-feeding.
Tap water should be fine, Cali natives are adapted to alkaline soils and the potting soil is probably quite acidic since it’s mostly organic matter.
OK that's all really good to know. I think I will try a little nitrogen feed and see how it goes. I found my really young potted natives and newly rooted cuttings really suffered with the sudden onset of really hot weather. Makes sense they might need a little extra help in pots too.

Thanks for your advice!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ambrose A. Dale

Latest Threads