I have some concerns about my Aloe plants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
So, I went out and got my second plant(s). Twin Aloes, both in rough shape. They were planted close enough together that I mistook them for the same plant initially (They were both crammed into the red clay-colored pot). I took them apart carefully, and transplanted the one into a bigger pot, while I look for a second larger pot for the other one. As I said, they're in rough shape. Generally yellowing/drying from the tips down, plus some strange discoloration (Two of the tips are purple/dark green. Purple doesn't show as well in the photo.) Along with that, there's a badly damaged leaf, with a hole in the bottom that penetrates the outer skin (See photo). I'm wondering what steps I should take to returning the plants to a healthier state. I'm not too worried about the aesthetics, so it's not a big deal to cut some tips off if I need to.

Pictures in this post are of the first, more damaged plant.

Attachments

• BrokenLeafPlant1.jpg
    BrokenLeafPlant1.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 304
  • DeadTipPlant1.jpg
    DeadTipPlant1.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 280
  • largePuncturePlant1.jpg
    largePuncturePlant1.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 253
  • MutliplePuncturePlant1.jpg
    MutliplePuncturePlant1.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 265
  • SingleSlashPlant1.jpg
    SingleSlashPlant1.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 283
Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
These pictures are the second one, it looks a lot better off but all the same

Attachments

• DeadTipPlant2.jpg
    DeadTipPlant2.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 278
  • DiscolorationPlant2.jpg
    DiscolorationPlant2.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 275
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Let them dry out completely between watering. Like, weeks go by and you do not water. At all. Nada. Water.
Filtered sunlight.
Aloe tolerates and actually likes leaves being removed, so go for it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Im thinking Id chop the brown tips off, plus the broken leaf off about a half inch down from where the break is. Not sure what to do about the hole in the healthier looking leaf - leave it for now, I guess. The purple discolorations the only thing thats got me worried, be nice if someone knew what that was

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b
Country
Brazil
Let them dry out completely between watering. Like, weeks go by and you do not water.
Yea, I have an aloe literally abandoned in my yard and it is doing pretty well.

Surviving on rain water. I think they don't need water often.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Update: Chopped the broken leaf off about an inch down from the break. Cut all the dead tips off, and now we wait.

Attachments

• tmp_25372-20170410_1757181562757033.jpg
    tmp_25372-20170410_1757181562757033.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 281
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I think it will be fine! Aloes are pretty tough plants.

You might have some superficial browning where you cut the leaves back, but I wouldn't worry about that really. Sort of like a scab on a cut. ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
The cuts are doing great so far, but that discolorations still got me worried. Im probably a little bit overprotective, I guess. Same way a parent is particularly concerned about their first kid versus their 2nd or 3rd

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Update: I believe the discoloration was sun burn, I moved it somewhere shadier but it doesnt seem to have helped a whole lot. The first 5cm from the tip are now a dark purple, if it reaches the 6cm mark Im going to err on the said of safety and cut it off

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
So, I recently got a couple aloes, as mentioned in a thread a few posts down. They had some problems which I tended to, and they were doing great for a while. Now, they're doing a lot less great. I watered them for the first time about a week ago, the soil was completely dry and the leaves were becoming really soft, and shrinking in diameter. Since then, the leaves have continued to shrink as the fluid is being used by the plant, as though I never watered them. The soil is still a little moist.
Both plants got about 2 1/2 cups of water, I have no idea what is going on, and I'm starting to get a little worried about them. The weather here has been terrible lately (Got about 3 feet of snow a couple days ago), so I don't want to repot unless I have to, because I won't be able to do it outside. Advice would be appreciated.

Reaction score
It would have made things easier,just to add this to your original thread, had to find that to see original pictures.

It comes back to watering again, they don't need it.

I think these are on the way out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
In hindsight, I probably should have.
How can I save them? How can I prevent them from dying in the future?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I have an aloe, only because my neighbor gave me one in a container and since I don't do container gardening I planted it in my yard. Of course I read up on it a little before planting it, and I picked a spot that I haven't mulched, since it likes soil a little on the sandy side.

However, your post got me wondering (again) of sun exposure to the aloe --- I'm completely confused on this issue. I would think that up in Canada it would be completely impossible to sunburn an aloe, especially this time of year. However, mine had a problem with turning brown, which I know is NOT from over-watering, since I don't water it and we're in a minor drought now, but it does have full sun, so I guess I picked a bad spot for it, based on this link, but the problem is that I've read other links that contradict this...:confused: http://homeguides.sfgate.com/aloe-vera-plant-turning-brown-84918.html

I guess I'll grow some plants around it to shade is out a little. As for your plant, I would give it as much light as possible, but as others have said...Do NOT water. Once a leaf turns brown, there's no saving it. Do you have new growth?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I sorted out the sunburn issue, I would up removing the damaged portion of the leaf. In your case, if it went straight to brown I dont think too much sun did it. From what I read, they take on a reddish-purple tinge before going brown.

Im not overly sure about growth, afaik aloe vera dont often grow entirely new leaves, the old ones get bigger, and I havent been measuring mine. It may be the soil is too compacted, I havent gotten a chance to put them into a cactus mix, yet. I was waiting on the weather to get nicer.

Ask a Question