Tomatoes Dying

Reaction score
Country
United States
View attachment 98356

Crown Gall Disease is caused by Agrobacterium tumefaciens, a bacteria that infects plants. The bacteria causes tumors on the stem of its host. Agrobacterium tumefaciens manipulates its hosts by transferring a DNA plasmid to the cells of its host. Plasmids are normally used to transfer DNA from bacteria to bacteria
This looks very similar. What can be done to prevent it next season?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Insect vectors are highly likely imo. While a fungi may leave a spore that can overwinter the virus and bacteria use hosts as far as I know. Smelly oils like neem oil are a deterrent at a minimum. Lures and traps can be a two edged sword in a garden pollination scenario.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
This looks very similar. What can be done to prevent it next season?
Bacteria enter the plant through wounds possibly caused by chewing insects, cultivation damage, or from grafting and pruning tools. The crown gall bacterium has been known to survive more than two years in the soil in the absence of susceptible plants.

If possible I would plant them in a new spot next year, it's always good to rotate them around each year anyway. I would also wipe down any garden tools you use like the garden shears you used to trim them with rubbing alcohol on paper towel or cloth.

Ask a Question