Brown Bottoms on Tomatoes

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi fellow gardeners. I'm very new here and new to gardening. I started a small container vegetable garden on my patio about 3 seasons ago. I'm getting better but it's mostly hit or miss at this point. The end of my first season my Jalapeños were hit hard and heavy by Aphids. It was at the end of the season so I was just waiting to get the last 3, 4 baby Jalapeños off once they matured. I was ready for the Aphids, White Flies and other pests last season. Now jumping into this season, I added some more vegetable plants to my garden. Tomatoes especially. My problem now is that one of my tomato plants, some if the tomatoes have what looks like rotting bottoms on them. They look beautiful and red looking at them on the vine but once you go to harvest them some will have brown, flat bottoms. Like they sat on something flat. I have no idea what is happening to them? I am going to try and attatch an image to this post. If anyone can tell me what it is and how to fix it, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 20230627_110928.jpg
    20230627_110928.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230623_154739.jpg
    20230623_154739.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 4
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Looks like blossom end rot. Sometimes I've had the first few tomatoes do that and then it cleared up on its own. Summer squash will do that too. Could be from a lack of calcium in the soil, too much nitrogen, or the pH of the soil is way off, or maybe too much water.

Ask a Question