7b
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
So, so gorgeous, majorcatfish! You are not too far away from me. When did you start those crops- carrots, radish, lettuce? Also, is the row cover the only winterizing you do to your garden?

sorry for my tartness in my response been out of town installing a surveillance system at one of our stores...

yes we do live just a couple country miles or two apart..
wow what a great question..
with the last of frost around april 10th-15th will start the long term plants here hopefully this weekend<tomatoes,eggplant,peppers> since i will be doing that will start some lettuce, bok chio,kale as well just to get a jump on them.

about last week in march will start the cucumbers and melons. will usually do a small direct seed planting of radishes,green onions, carrots 1st week of april. if the soil temperature and weather outlook is good will plant a mess of peas as well.
after the 15th of april it's wide open around here, never miss a beat on having something in the main or raised bed gardens growing spring, early summer, summer, late summer, early fall, fall/winter...

as for winter row cover all that i do is make low tunnels using 4 mil plastic and some floating ceiling wire<to make the hoops> so far able to grow lettuce,bok chio till early January, beets,carrots,green onions though the winter. even with temperatures below 20* <yes they do freeze but once the sun comes up everyone is happy> and yes there is a little frost bite time to time. but we just weed those parts out..

heres a link to frost tolerate veggies, it's a good guideline..

https://www.botanicalinterests.com/articles/view/26/Frost-Tolerance-of-Vegetables

overall you really need to experiment on whats going grow to in your zone." just because they say" does not mean you can not do it......!!!!!!

so looking forward to a week off in april to really get the gardens in shape...

if i can help you out in anyway you know where to find me...

mc

Reaction score
Country
United States
Beautiful harvest!! Yes here in America we eat rhubarb in pies. Some old timers even brew a soda from it. I can't wait until the temperatures cooperate enough here to be able to plant things. Here in Ohio most of our harvests don't happen until the summer and fall months.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Getting close to the hungry gap now, enough for a curry today though :)
DSCI0053.JPG

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
These Elephant Garlic were dug from another garden, but they're going back in the ground till they mature
DSCI0063.JPG

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Nice one Bees, mines only just budding.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had great picking in June on my blackberry bush; I stopped counting at 300 berries. However, I am SO disappointed in the rest of my garden. The 4 days of straight rain followed by the intense hear we had earlier in the month proved to be too much. And I had taken great though about what to plant and where to plant it. I had such high hopes. The only thing left that is really producing are my okra and cucumber plants. My tomatoes, corn and eggplants are all a wash. And my poor bell peppers can't decide whether to live or die. I try to soothe my feelings by looking forward to my fall gardening.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I had great picking in June on my blackberry bush; I stopped counting at 300 berries. However, I am SO disappointed in the rest of my garden. The 4 days of straight rain followed by the intense hear we had earlier in the month proved to be too much. And I had taken great though about what to plant and where to plant it. I had such high hopes. The only thing left that is really producing are my okra and cucumber plants. My tomatoes, corn and eggplants are all a wash. And my poor bell peppers can't decide whether to live or die. I try to soothe my feelings by looking forward to my fall gardening.
This has been a bad year for a lot of us. I lost all of my corn and melons, plus I lost a lot of my garden soil itself. The only thing I had a halfway decent crop was green beans, hot peppers and tomatoes and they weren't like they should have been. Next year will be better.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry Chuck.
It's my best ever harvest, by a country mile, of broad beans (fava)
Early potatoes are good, (I suspect eelworm) but the maincroppers look good.
Sweetcorn fine and runner beans are all doing well, but the garlic took a bit of a hit from rust, although I have taken 35 usable bulbs.
In the greenhouse, tomatoes, peppers and aubergines are progressing nicely, as are slicing cukes and pumpkins in the poly-tunnel.
Onions so-so, but peas doing well.
Going to plant my autumn cauli's and broc. right now.

Ask a Question