Today's Pickings

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
@zigs I took this photo for you at the grocery store today. It has already been 80f on multiple days already here and it's still March.
PXL_20210328_213032046_resize_96.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well, these were yesterdays pickings but my plan was to pick them today. My wife wanted some cucumbers for supper last night. Picked some Trunchuda too. These were the first picking of the pickling cucumbers. I'll pick some slicer cucumbers in a couple of days.
IMG_0013.JPG
IMG_0012.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I am so envious, Zigs! We had rhubarb when we lived in NY, but here in Texas the heat kills it off. Our onions are well behind yours, and don't look nearly as lovely (so far).
Why do you cut off so much of the green tops of the onions? I use them chopped in salads, and sprinkled on top of grilled salmon or other fish that is strong enough flavored to support the onion tops.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I am so envious, Zigs! We had rhubarb when we lived in NY, but here in Texas the heat kills it off. Our onions are well behind yours, and don't look nearly as lovely (so far).
Why do you cut off so much of the green tops of the onions? I use them chopped in salads, and sprinkled on top of grilled salmon or other fish that is strong enough flavored to support the onion tops.

It comes from Siberia and doesn't like the heat :(

The onions are the little bulbing onions from last year that were starting to sprout, I put them back in the soil and they produce 3 to 5 spring onions for every bulb :) I cut the tops off to fit them in the plastic bag that Tetters uses to keep them in the fridge :D

DSC04664.JPG

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Well, these were yesterdays pickings but my plan was to pick them today. My wife wanted some cucumbers for supper last night. Picked some Trunchuda too. These were the first picking of the pickling cucumbers. I'll pick some slicer cucumbers in a couple of days.View attachment 79671View attachment 79672

Looking good @Chuck (y)

Trunchuda is a brilliant word too :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It comes from Siberia and doesn't like the heat :(

The onions are the little bulbing onions from last year that were starting to sprout, I put them back in the soil and they produce 3 to 5 spring onions for every bulb :) I cut the tops off to fit them in the plastic bag that Tetters uses to keep them in the fridge :D

View attachment 79695
Oh honestly @marlingardener - what a load of rubbish he speaks!! The tops are off on these because they are too tatty to use. I wouldn`t waste them on his compost heap if they were suitable for the table :rolleyes:

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Great year here for sugar snap peas. Normally I use them as primarily a companion plant to new potatoes and any production is just bonus... but this year with a cool spring they produced double what they would in a "normal" year.

sugar snaps 2021.JPG

Ask a Question