Today's Pickings

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
They look yummy @roadrunner(y) We're drying tomatoes and apples at the moment.

Today's pickings have got a bit of a red theme going :D

DSC03246.JPG
DSC03247.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I haven't been in here much lately. Life has just kinda of gotten crazy. I had planted sweet potatoes in our raised bed and they just took over as I didn't have time to tame then or tend the other plants. This week, with my parents helping out after my wife's surgery, we decided it was time to harvest.

There is a total of 70lbs of sweet potatoes here! This is out of a 5x16 raised bed (most were in a 5x5 area!) With the largest over 7lbs! There are several in the 4-5lb range.

We have already baked three pies and had some roasted sweet potatoe medallions (delicious!).

My parents also had an abundance of bananas ripen at once so we also baked 8 loaves of banana bread!!

I apologize for the upside down picture.

IMG_20201022_164523700.jpg
IMG_20201020_132300562.jpg
IMG_20201020_131340366.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Sent my parents home with 7-8lbs, probably give several neighbors some, and I'm going to check with a local food bank or kitchen to see if they will take 30lbs or so. I think we can manage 30lbs ourselves. We do really like sweet potatoes. Casserole, pies, roasted etc. I wander if you can puree it and freeze it for pies later?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Many seem to be posting threads, with photographs of their harvest, (and rightly so, as many are very impressive), so I hope you don't mind if I join in.

001_4.jpg

Another stone or so of rhubarb (I've used two stone for wine, have another stone in the freezer, made three batches of jam and lost count of how much I have given away) shows how poor a summer it's been weatherwise.
Usually rhubarb goes dormant here before the end of June, as temperatures rise, and, if lucky, we get a second flush in September as "summer" abates, but it's been so cold and wet this year, it's still growing.
The savoy cabbage on the left is approx. 3 lb and is destined for tonight's dinner, with the left-overs used to make a big batch of bubble & squeak, with home-grown onions and potatoes.
Then we have three courgettes (zucchini) to go with the dozen or so already in the fridge, 2 aubergines (my best attempt at growing them so far, as I'm well into double figures), 11 little cucumbers, delistar and superbel, all female varieties, with fine skins which mean no peeling, and a beautiful, if delicate flavour.
The bottom row has an ice-cream box crammed to overflowing with tomatoes; the standard ones are f1 Nimbus whilst the large cherry tomatoes are the delicious Maskotka, which I've posted about previously.
The beans fill and overflow from a 5 litre plastic tub. I'm picking this amount of them every day.
How do you eat the rhubarb? My mom used to make a really tasty rhubarb pie!

Ask a Question