To water or not to water?

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
This massive houseplant used to live in a conservatory (in Ireland, so not that warm). He now lives at a northfacing window in my kitchen (fairly warm, stove is generally lit, but no direct sunlight anymore).
It has started shedding leaves!?? At the bottom they go light green, then yellow, then fall off. I thought I had over watered so stopped for a bit, but now I'm noticing upper leaves curling a bit, is this from dehydration?? I did have him beside a lamp before which may have been too hot, but I'm nearly sure new leaves have curled since moving him. It's very old, about 30 years. I can't kill him!!!!! Any suggestions appreciated! Because of his size, this is the biggest window I can get him to, it's double doors, I don't have a sunny spot like he is used to.
Also, do you know what it is?
IMG_20220128_160732.jpg
IMG_20220128_160803.jpg
IMG_20220128_160826.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

Your plant is a Dwarf Umbrella Tree (Heptapleurum arboricolum, formerly Schefflera arbicola),an Araliad tree (Araliaceae), native to Taiwan. If that is the brightest window, then it is the best place in the house for it, though an north-facing window is less light than it would prefer. After all danger of frost is past, consider 'summering' the plant outdoors. Seasonal changes of location can be wonderful tonics for indoor plants.

As for irrigation, the potting soil should be damp, not saturated, and the pot and soil must drain well. Do not go by a rigid chronological schedule. Instead, first observe the plant and soil. When irrigation is warranted, water the soil column completely. The soil must partly dry before the next irrigation. Often waiting until the soil surface appears dry is a good indicator. Once a month during active growth, incorporate a complete, liquid fertilizer into your irrigation schedule.

I notice that the pot is not in a saucer. The plant does not benefit a saucer, but your floors might appreciate it. If you do use a saucer make certain that the pot does not sit in a puddle. Either drain the saucer, or lift the pot within the saucer with risers or gravel.

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

Your plant is a Dwarf Umbrella Tree (Heptapleurum arboricolum, formerly Schefflera arbicola),an Araliad tree (Araliaceae), native to Taiwan. If that is the brightest window, then it is the best place in the house for it, though an north-facing window is less light than it would prefer. After all danger of frost is past, consider 'summering' the plant outdoors. Seasonal changes of location can be wonderful tonics for indoor plants.

As for irrigation, the potting soil should be damp, not saturated, and the pot and soil must drain well. Do not go by a rigid chronological schedule. Instead, first observe the plant and soil. When irrigation is warranted, water the soil column completely. The soil must partly dry before the next irrigation. Often waiting until the soil surface appears dry is a good indicator. Once a month during active growth, incorporate a complete, liquid fertilizer into your irrigation schedule.

I notice that the pot is not in a saucer. The plant does not benefit a saucer, but your floors might appreciate it. If you do use a saucer make certain that the pot does not sit in a puddle. Either drain the saucer, or lift the pot within the saucer with risers or gravel.
Thank you Marck!
When I first read this I didn't actually think there were any holes on the bottom of the pot, until I decided to give it a decent watering after letting the soil dry out, and found a huge puddle in the basement after the water leaked through pot and then through floor boards
Plant is looking better, and is now sitting on a big plate.

Thanks

Ask a Question