Waterproof work boots

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am a full time gardener, tired of having wet feet. Suggestions for comfortable, waterproof ankle boots. Don't like rubber boots as they don't breath. Hope someone out there has found the perfect boot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Waterproof?

Reminds me iof when I was the manager of a large department store.
I needed to speak to the manageress of the shoe deparment, as I approached her she was talking to a female customer complaining about a pair of fashion shoes she'd purchased, as they leaked.
Her response was, "Madam, the only footwear we guarantee as waterproof are Wellington boots."

I've had these since April, which cost £29.99 on eBay (list £39.99 on the "Town & Country" web site) but the heels wore through as they are a very soft neoprene.

neoprene_shoes_tfw6570.png

I've recently replaced them with these, which cost £16.99, they are of a stiffer neoprene but the soles are thicker.

2ZAGCDTIH2V.jpg

They are very comfortable, I need a shoehorn to get them on but they give more support than the others. I don't have a prioblem with them not "breathing" if they did water could get in.
Worth buying a couple of pairs at that price and changing them over during the day, if it's a problem.

I've also a pair of Dickies work boots with the safety toe caps, but rarely use them as they are a pain to put on.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I am a full time gardener, tired of having wet feet. Suggestions for comfortable, waterproof ankle boots. Don't like rubber boots as they don't breath. Hope someone out there has found the perfect boot.
Mine are too hard. I have to cut the top out. They are like clogs or hard crocs with no holes. kinda hate them. I like the ideas given here.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Waterproof?

Reminds me iof when I was the manager of a large department store.
I needed to speak to the manageress of the shoe deparment, as I approached her she was talking to a female customer complaining about a pair of fashion shoes she'd purchased, as they leaked.
Her response was, "Madam, the only footwear we guarantee as waterproof are Wellington boots."

I've had these since April, which cost £29.99 on eBay (list £39.99 on the "Town & Country" web site) but the heels wore through as they are a very soft neoprene.

View attachment 85717

I've recently replaced them with these, which cost £16.99, they are of a stiffer neoprene but the soles are thicker.

View attachment 85718

They are very comfortable, I need a shoehorn to get them on but they give more support than the others. I don't have a prioblem with them not "breathing" if they did water could get in.
Worth buying a couple of pairs at that price and changing them over during the day, if it's a problem.

I've also a pair of Dickies waterproof work boots with the safety toe caps, but rarely use them as they are a pain to put on.
I have worn Red Wing work boots since I had my first job at a mechanics shop at the age of 14. I buy 3 or 4 pairs of boots a year and never wear a pair 2 days in a row. The boots I order are $219 bucks and the last 2 pairs have been clunkers. Just not as comfortable as I am accustomed to. I work on concrete most of the time and walk a lot, often carrying around 10 or 15 pounds. What are you guys doing for boots these days?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
You do need to look after your feet. I spent s lot of my working life on my feet on hard terrazzo floors.
I often play golf three times a week, so I have three pairs of golf shoes, I wear in rotation, so each pair has a week to get dry.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have worn Red Wing work boots since I had my first job at a mechanics shop at the age of 14. I buy 3 or 4 pairs of boots a year and never wear a pair 2 days in a row. The boots I order are $219 bucks and the last 2 pairs have been clunkers. Just not as comfortable as I am accustomed to. I work on concrete most of the time and walk a lot, often carrying around 10 or 15 pounds. What are you guys doing for boots these days?
I wear this for work and it’s pretty comfy for me. Since waterproof, I wear it when I’m doing garden work. KEEN Utility Men's Lansing Mid Steel Toe Waterproof Work Boot

Ask a Question