Tips for lemon tree

Reaction score
I'm growing mine from seed— just sucked the skin off and planted them about five weeks ago. In a large coffee mug with pea gravel at the base, plain potting soil made moist and wrapped with Saran Wrap that I cut a slit in. Out of four or five seeds I'm seeing two so far, hopefully more to pop up! I found a few articles really helpful, I'll re-find them and post the links. View attachment 580
Wow Marissa! I would love to read that article. I haven't heard of pea gravel but I'm sure I can find out. Do you know how long it takes for a lemon tree to mature? Thanks for sharing!

Reaction score
http://growingwildceeds.wordpress.com/2012/03/10/how-to-grow-a-lemon-tree-from-seed/

They say about two to three years for fruitition.

Here's a second seedling rearing its adorable head!
image.jpg

Reaction score
The pea gravel I used was untainted aquarium gravel. I put about an inch in the bottom, then mixed some with soil for about an inch, then topped with soil.

Reaction score
The pea gravel I used was untainted aquarium gravel. I put about an inch in the bottom, then mixed some with soil for about an inch, then topped with soil.
That makes sense. I bought an organic lemon and am excited to try sprouting a lemon tree on my own. I will keep you posted on my success. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
My mother's lemon and lime trees both have all these little baby fruits developing on them. It's amazing to watch the progress from flower to fruit. It's also a bit nerve wracking, lol, as it's sort of like watching that pot that's taking its time to boil. I go so excited to see the first berries forming on my blueberry bush, and that was weeks ago! There is no instant gratification in the garden when it comes to food.

Reaction score
I know what you mean Chanell. I just started planting several herbs, vegetables and some fruit. This is my first time and I'm beyond excited. I find myself checking on them all several times a day to make sure they are doing okay. I can't even imagine what it will be like when I see a flower budding.

Is it like that for you every season?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Is it like that for you every season?

LOL, pretty much. Right now I am delighting in seeing multiple blossoms on my hibiscus at once. Some people might think that was kind of sad or silly, but I think it's an accomplishment when your plants are healthy and producing. I have a few poinsettias I rescued from the side of the road that are doing quite well and I am very proud of them.

Reaction score
NIce Picture Marissa, I started a Meyer Lemon from seed and it looks similar to your seedling. I really want to start some fruit trees in my garden. I wonder if I can grow peaches and plums from seed. So far, I have avocados and lemon trees but they most likely will not survive in Georgia. I guess my best bet is to use them as houseplants and let them out in the spring.

Reaction score
Great choice! Lemons provide so many different benefits! I think as long as you give your tree the proper tender loving care your tree will grow big and strong. Remember to water it, and feed it as needed and before you know it, the results will be there! The first tree is the first step to a very long rewarding journey. Good luck!

Reaction score
Some useful information here, will be doing more to fertilize my 3 small fruit trees perhaps with some coffee grounds as that sounds like it works. Also will be doing better at watering them, since it sounds like keeping them hydrated is very important.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Mine are now outside in a pot, and about 3-4 inches tall, and so far doing fine, even with all the heat that we are having here. They are not really fast growing, so they should be small enough that I can bring them inside this winter.
My little banana trees are barely growing, too. They are getting new leaves, but are still only about a foot tall, so they are definitely not going to give me any shade this year. Ar, at least not very soon. They seem healthy enough, but I did expect them to be faster growing.

Ask a Question