Tips for growing hotter horseradish?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Im a horseradish feind.

I've been trying to grow decent roots for a few years and this year it seems I've finally accomplished that. But, they're not very pungent. Otoh, they are better than most of what i can find in stores, which range from fresh out of the ground (very rarely) to completely dried out and woody useless garbage.

So, any soil tips for growing really hot horseradish?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would try different varieties to find the hottest horseradish, because the difference lies in the variety and not the soil.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Put it where you can control horseradish or it will take over. I know by experience.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I've kept it in a wooden bin for the last 4 years. Im thinking of transplanting it to it's own spot in the yard as the bin is deteriorating.

Hint for preparation, after peeling and chunking, freeze it. It doesn't make it stronger but gives you more working time before the heat evaporates. Also to me at least it seems to help getting a finer grind.

NigelJ

Still Learning
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No not root rot concerns. Grows best in damp conditions, so restricting water helps control it's spread.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I see. The 2 spots i have in mind I'm not worried about it spreading. They're both difficult to mow but close enough to be easy to care for.

Ask a Question