Tips for Growing Lettuce?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've grown lettuce fairly successfully in the past. Enough for a few salads and some sandwiches. However, it doesn't grow very well. It just doesn't seem like it yields a decent amount of lettuce per head, even after waiting until the proper harvest time. Does anyone have any tips for growing nice big heads of lettuce? Even if it's growing a particular type over another. Also, does anyone have any tips for ensuring that the lettuce doesn't end up tasting bitter? I really hate when I go to all that trouble just have bitter lettuce.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've grown lettuce fairly successfully in the past. Enough for a few salads and some sandwiches. However, it doesn't grow very well. It just doesn't seem like it yields a decent amount of lettuce per head, even after waiting until the proper harvest time. Does anyone have any tips for growing nice big heads of lettuce? Even if it's growing a particular type over another. Also, does anyone have any tips for ensuring that the lettuce doesn't end up tasting bitter? I really hate when I go to all that trouble just have bitter lettuce.
Temperature is very important for lettuce. Lettuce is a cool weather crop and becomes bitter when hot weather arrives. Head lettuce is different than bibb or leaf lettuce and takes longer to mature. I find it impossible to grow because of my climate but bibb and leaf lettuce are fairly easy.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Temperature is very important for lettuce. Lettuce is a cool weather crop and becomes bitter when hot weather arrives. Head lettuce is different than bibb or leaf lettuce and takes longer to mature. I find it impossible to grow because of my climate but bibb and leaf lettuce are fairly easy.
Have you tried, "Little Gem" lettuce?
They have the sweetness and crunch of headed lettuce, good flavour, but, because small, head up quicker.
They are so popular with gardeners that the supermarkets started selling them a few yeares ago and are now a standard, with two to a pack instead of one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Have you tried, "Little Gem" lettuce?
They have the sweetness and crunch of headed lettuce, good flavour, but, because small, head up quicker.
They are so popular with gardeners that the supermarkets started selling them a few yeares ago and are now a standard, with two to a pack instead of one.
No, I haven't but I will if I can find seeds. Now is when we plant lettuce here. I'll go through my seed catalogs and get them on their way if available.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks, but I just now I ordered them from Parks Seed. Should be here in about 5 days. Do you still have those cucumber seeds?

Reaction score
Country
United States
That actually explains a lot. I usually plant lettuce in the back of my greenhouse, and even with sides up it can get pretty hot in there.

@Chuck I've never heard of that type of lettuce, but if it's nice and sweet, I'll give it a try. Thanks for the suggestion!

Ask a Question