Tips on Growing Thyme

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
I saw a thyme plant being sold at the weekend market near where I live. I read articles online about its benefits other than as an aide in cooking, and I was surprised to know the following:

1. Antiseptic
2. Antibiotics
3. Anti-oxidant

Now, I want to plant my own thyme. Are there special tips on how to propagate this plant? Can it survive just in pots? I don't want it to be ruined by our pets. Thank you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I saw a thyme plant being sold at the weekend market near where I live. I read articles online about its benefits other than as an aide in cooking, and I was surprised to know the following:

1. Antiseptic
2. Antibiotics
3. Anti-oxidant

Now, I want to plant my own thyme. Are there special tips on how to propagate this plant? Can it survive just in pots? I don't want it to be ruined by our pets. Thank you.
Full sun is needed as well as well drained soil. It doesn't like to be wet and prune often. It will grow just fine in a pot although this plant is fairly cold hardy down to about 5F

Ask a Question