This makes my blood boil!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

The rubbish being spread by mainstream media gets more sickening every day. They are trying to demonise our gardens now. Heaven forbid, we might save ourselves from starvation 😡

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
How on earth they can say homegrown food produces more CO2 than food shipped from the otherside of the World is just utterley beyond me :rolleyes:

This is just like the biomass power station here that uses Diesil to bring woodpulp from America to make electricity to power electric cars, they had been saying it was waste wood but it turns out they've been cutting down virgin forests to power it.

It's about as Green as buying solar panels produced in China using coal power 🙄

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It is pretty ridiculous when you consider things like the distance the food travels, machines versus hand tools, artificial fertiliser production, spraying crops, heating and lighting supermarkets. We even have to travel 10 miles to get to the shop. At every stage of production and delivery of commercial crops oil gets used, I use very little in my growing, probably going to buy seed annually is about the biggest use, and when it has grown I walk to the house with it.

Did you see Evan Davies with the Treasury minister? So many people spout rubbish authoritatively and expect us to accept it, Nice when we know enough about the facts to refute it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
This is true, gardening increases your CO2 footprint, I'm proof.

Before I started gardening we were a one-car family my entire career and we had 3 kids. I rode my bike to work and my wife kept the car.

In 2018, well after all the kids were gone, I bought a pickup truck just so I could drive around and pick up yard waste for my garden.

I'd just like to extend a personal apology for the blistering hot summers and the melting glaciers. I feel like a total piece of :poop:

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Carbon footprint of Reporter 5 times greater than retired home gardener. Gardening forum concludes newspaper reporters are a waste of energy. Here are five ways reporters waste more energy than gardeners.
1. Energy consumed going and coming from work an hour's drive each way.
2. Sitting in an air-conditioned office all day - and leaving the AC on when not there.
3. Travel to site of report with cameraman, director, researcher, soundman and all their electronic gear.
4. Long lunches and drinks at bar after work - all air conditioned, TV in background, cocktails with ice.
5. Eating meals all day long and producing no food, at all, themselves.
...not to mention the angst caused, and energy wasted by all those forced to correct false reports.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I really would like to see the evidence used to produce this report. It is a lot easier to refute when presented with this kind of sensationalism.
It is very easy to snort that it is a load of rubbish, but much harder to argue against without a target to hit.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I really would like to see the evidence used to produce this report. It is a lot easier to refute when presented with this kind of sensationalism.
It is very easy to snort that it is a load of rubbish, but much harder to argue against without a target to hit.
We do agree, there is a new reporter/ member of staff on this paper who is spreading nonsense willy nilly, he reckons too that all of us who live in the English countryside are racist o_OMaybe it would help to buy a daily telegraph and speak to them (we don't waste time or money on mainstream media in any shape or form any more)
PS The author of this article was Joe Pinkstone who calls himself ''Science correspondent''

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
This is typical for greenies. Make grand statements and delete details. Then belittle anyone who questions those statements.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom

Indeed Owdboggy, that's why they do it. Make a statement with only very vague resons to back it up, but then the damage is done as some well meaning idiots will believe it and start glueing themselves to your drive shouting "Just stop Cabbages" :rolleyes:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
This is typical for greenies. Make grand statements and delete details. Then belittle anyone who questions those statements.

Absolutely Ruderunner, the councils are doing the same thing with woodburners. They are saying they add to CO2 emmissions and that unless the wood is completely seasoned it adds to air pollution.

Now anyone with half a brain can work out that if you burn a tree it can only release the carbon that it's absorbed in it's lifetime, it can't magic more carbon from somewhere else. As to wet wood adding to air pollution, it's only water...

But by this time more damage has been done, instead of you not using fossil fuels to keep warm you're now a social leper destroying the environment :rolleyes:

It seems the authorities are trying to turn everyone against each other, divide and conquer.

Matthew 10 : 21 ...And the brother shall deliver up the brother to death and the father the child : And the children shall rise up against their parents and cause them to be put to death

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
In the final 50 years of the last century, 'elf n' safety was the biggest growth industry.
Costly "saving the planet" initiatives will be the one in this century.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
. As to wet wood adding to air pollution, it's only water...
If the wood is wet combustion is not as hot, so not so complete, our chimney commented that he could tell we had been burning well seasoned wood. Burning badly seasoned wood does add to the smoke produced, and it will be a different sort of smoke. Best stack it for a year, it will produce more heat as well.
'There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.' I bet there is some way the statistics can be presented to support this argument, and produce an article which might capture attention. Pity they chose to when there are interesting and important things to report on.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We couldn't agree more Oliver. We are well associated with the logging society here, and have even been instrumental with the work involved in coppicing - great work out in the open!! The point is, although we know how best to use logs, we also see the ridiculous futility in even considering that our well loved gardening habits are in any way detrimental.
As country bumpkins we enjoy and take care of our land, and treat it with respect. Thus the video and its content makes my blood boil.

Ask a Question