This makes my blood boil!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That's what I do, like I said above I look for hidden gems, even in sources I don't follow. A good example is FOX news, I don't follow. However, I really respect some of their reporters, one example is Jennifer Griffin.

I also use to love listening to Charles Krauthammer, but sadly he's no longer with us.
I don't suppose you get Al Jazeera English news in the U.S. , sometimes it brings up quite major things, like huge floods, that simply don't get mentioned on our 'normal' channels because they are somewhere 'unimportant', like Arabia.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Back to the garden and food supply, young Lilly has found out a bit more information which is worrying if you don't appreciate the over use of GMO which is becoming ''normal''

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
It could be the same with us, we have 2 dogs and always buying food and other things online to be delivered.
I buy things from Grattan catalogue for a lot of things. When i order something they say we could arrange to collect my order from a collection point instead of them doing it, that will reduce carbon footprint, i don't see how.
Also changing plastic packaging for paper instead, where is the extra paper coming from? Oh i know we can cut down more of the rain forest.
We have to get compost from the garden centre and that could be a lot in the growing season.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Paper and packaging really do count for a lot, I suppose if you assume home gardeners use the same amount of artificial as farmers do delivering a load to a single twenty acre field is cheap compared to delivering small amounts to hundreds of widely spaced shops.
But it is a big assumption.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
they say we could arrange to collect my order from a collection point instead of them doing it, that will reduce carbon footprint, i don't see how
Probably because they are lowering their carbon footprint and not counting you and all the others who go to the collection point, that is down to you not them. It could have a degree of validity if it is somewhere central that customers will visit anyway for other reasons, but basically it is hype.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It could be the same with us, we have 2 dogs and always buying food and other things online to be delivered.
I buy things from Grattan catalogue for a lot of things. When i order something they say we could arrange to collect my order from a collection point instead of them doing it, that will reduce carbon footprint, i don't see how.
Also changing plastic packaging for paper instead, where is the extra paper coming from? Oh i know we can cut down more of the rain forest.

You're right Logan, it makes little or no difference to a carbon footprint, either you use energy to get it or they do :unsure:

And the paper bit is right too, we're meant to be charging our electric cars and running our heat pumps from "green electric" produced from burning virgin forests that have been cut down and shipped across the Atlantic to the Drax power station that produces more CO2 than a coal burning power station....

We have to get compost from the garden centre and that could be a lot in the growing season.

Now if you're growing veg and making your own compost that stays in the garden and is CO2 neutral.

But the council collect garden waste (Using diesel) Compost it (using diesil to turn the heaps with JCB's) Bag it up (Using plastic and electricity to seal the bags) Transport it to garden centres (using diesel) and then the consumer brings it home (using petrol) and then puts the bag into the landfill bin as you can't recycle plastic sacks....

And that is meant to produce less CO2?

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Probably because they are lowering their carbon footprint and not counting you and all the others who go to the collection point, that is down to you not them. It could have a degree of validity if it is somewhere central that customers will visit anyway for other reasons, but basically it is hype.
We wouldn't normally go to the collection point so it would be extra carbon footprint. I do make my own compost but i use it as mulch, to use it for potting or seed sowing would have to sieve it and i haven't got time to do that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I drive vehicles without catalytic converters and I'm putting 3 carburetors on one this winter.

I'm proud of my carbon footprint!
Actually catalytic converters increase your CO2 footprint. They decrease other pollutants, by converting toxic gases into less/non toxic emissions, such as CO2 and water vapor.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We NEED our CO2 !! In the carboniferous period, when the plants were huge and very healthy, and so were the dragonflies, there were 3,800 parts per million of CO2. Now we are right down to about 420 parts, and when we get down as low as 150 parts, the plants will die, and so will we!!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
700 million years ago nearly all the CO2 was removed from the atmosphere, probably by vocanic rocks being laid down that were good at absorbing it.

It dropped down to about 200 parts per million, this caused the whole planet to freeze over, from the poles to the equator was one vast sheet of ice.

This lasted for 57 million years.....

Ask a Question