These Beauties Love Cold Weather

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There are three types of flowers that are still blooming in this crazy weather we have in Michigan. It is delightful to see them still looking so beautiful after many cold days, rain and wind.

The first photo is black-eyes Susan, second one is Latana and third one is Day Lily! What are some flowers that still blooming in your world?
IMG_5754.jpg IMG_6102.jpg IMG_6110.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
They're lovely:) I think Latana is the prettiest, this shade of pink is so sweet:)
I hope my African Violets will bloom soon, I can't wait to see what color they are. It's exciting:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
Right now the only things in bloom still in my yard are marigolds and chrysanthemums! I need to find some more flowers that are hardy and will hold up to this time of year when the temperature drops off.

Glad to see that so many of your flowers are so resilient! Always makes me smile when I see that!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Camellias Amellia ( a rhyme!!! :LOL:) are very hardy blooming even while covered in snow. I don't have any yet but have been reading much about them and plan on working with them in the spring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Right now the only things in bloom still in my yard are marigolds and chrysanthemums! I need to find some more flowers that are hardy and will hold up to this time of year when the temperature drops off.

Glad to see that so many of your flowers are so resilient! Always makes me smile when I see that!

This was the first year that planted latana and I was surprised to see the flowers. There are four left at the moment, which made me happy to see when I am outside. Everything else is turning brown and losing their leaves.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
a little of my fall anemone is blooming, a few honeysuckle from my climbing one on the deck railing, and one hanging on rose. The calicarpia shrubs are holding their beautiful purple berries, and will through the snows.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
My daylilies did not do well this year, they bloomed once and died off, now they have started to grow because we had some really warm days but the cooler days and nights are back so I do not expect them to grow any more or bloom. My rose bush is in bloom right now. It is expected to be around 40 degrees all this week, it is about time to cut back the rose bush so that it will be hearty for next spring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
This was the first year that planted latana and I was surprised to see the flowers. There are four left at the moment, which made me happy to see when I am outside. Everything else is turning brown and losing their leaves.

I just went for a walk this morning around my neighborhood and it definitely reminded me that fall is almost over with and winter is certainly starting to take grip! A lot of my neighbors beautiful gardens were looking a bit brown too. So when you do get to see the pops of color still growing and vibrant it really is nice!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't know about you, @amelia88 but I gets kind of depressed during the gray cold freezing months! I usually have to go to HomeDepot or Lowes or a Conservatory to look for colors and blooming flowers. It always cheers me up and lift my bad moods :)

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Amazingly enough there are still quite a few flowers that are still blooming in my garden. I too live in icy BC and I'm always being told our growing season is too short for a lot of warmer weather loving plants or that plants that would be hardy annuals and may winter over in climates about a two hundred miles south of where I am, won't make it but I think this year some of my annuals might even pull through. I planted calendulas early this spring and was told that it was too early to plant them outdoors, but they did just fine and are now in there second and third round of seeding and providing new plants. The eight or so plants I started with have now factored themselves up to about forty or fifty. That is in part because I took seed from the earlier ones and planted them along side the house as well. My boyfriend and I were having a pretty serious dispute this summer and he ripped all the flowers out along the side of the house but I just went ahead and replanted them with seed. This would have been at the end of July and the seeded plants still managed to mature and provide flowers now. As for other plants that are still flowering, almost everything is but the annuals that I pulled up due to inability to withstand the change in temperature as well they were past being able to bloom any longer. My dahlias are gone and my snapdragons, but my osteopurnums are still blooming a fair bit and like everyone else, my marigolds are blooming almost as much as they did in the summer, in fact they are seeding themselves and will probably try to overtake my flower bed. A few others that are still doing alright are my geraniums, a few verbena are still hanging in there as well as petunias but there time is near. There is one or two others that are still blooming a great deal especially considering the color, I just remembered the name of one of them, its Ganzia and I was very pleased with how they grew this summer into fall. The one plant I was most disappointed in was my Gerber Daisies. I thought for sure they'd do well, but I had trouble with them from the start and now its too cold for them to bloom properly. All in all, hoever, my garden hung in there pretty good this year.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Amazingly enough there are still quite a few flowers that are still blooming in my garden. I too live in icy BC and I'm always being told our growing season is too short for a lot of warmer weather loving plants or that plants that would be hardy annuals and may winter over in climates about a two hundred miles south of where I am, won't make it but I think this year some of my annuals might even pull through. I planted calendulas early this spring and was told that it was too early to plant them outdoors, but they did just fine and are now in there second and third round of seeding and providing new plants. The eight or so plants I started with have now factored themselves up to about forty or fifty. That is in part because I took seed from the earlier ones and planted them along side the house as well. My boyfriend and I were having a pretty serious dispute this summer and he ripped all the flowers out along the side of the house but I just went ahead and replanted them with seed. This would have been at the end of July and the seeded plants still managed to mature and provide flowers now. As for other plants that are still flowering, almost everything is but the annuals that I pulled up due to inability to withstand the change in temperature as well they were past being able to bloom any longer. My dahlias are gone and my snapdragons, but my osteopurnums are still blooming a fair bit and like everyone else, my marigolds are blooming almost as much as they did in the summer, in fact they are seeding themselves and will probably try to overtake my flower bed. A few others that are still doing alright are my geraniums, a few verbena are still hanging in there as well as petunias but there time is near. There is one or two others that are still blooming a great deal especially considering the color, I just remembered the name of one of them, its Ganzia and I was very pleased with how they grew this summer into fall. The one plant I was most disappointed in was my Gerber Daisies. I thought for sure they'd do well, but I had trouble with them from the start and now its too cold for them to bloom properly. All in all, hoever, my garden hung in there pretty good this year.
Sounds like you've done a wonderful job DaisyJane. I'm sure you'll enjoy as long as possible .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My daylilies did not do well this year, they bloomed once and died off, now they have started to grow because we had some really warm days but the cooler days and nights are back so I do not expect them to grow any more or bloom. My rose bush is in bloom right now. It is expected to be around 40 degrees all this week, it is about time to cut back the rose bush so that it will be hearty for next spring.

There are a batch of daylilies growing along the side of a house, but only one is still blooming and sometimes lasted all the way to December. That one is a die-hard flower for me :)

Ask a Question