The eu is preparing legislation that will make it illegal to use saved seed!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
The issue is over the rightful and/or legal role of government. Some people think government should spend all it's time restricting and controlling voluntary trade and business transactions. I don't.
No it's not. The issue is whether people can save or swap seeds legally; it says so in the title.

It's not a TEA Party, neo-Liberal, or decentralist issue.

This is a gardening forum not a political platform.

Reaction score
How is it these people have nothing better to do? Why would they want to prevent people from saving seeds? The only benefit in doing that is for the companies that sell seed to be able to make more money. With all the things that need legislating, why spend time and money even discussing this?

Its all about the big companies like Monsanto.... they control the seeds and they control the money. If people are not allowed to collect heirloom seeds that leaves us at their mercy to do what they will, create any type of genetic monster they want and we would have to go along with it or starve.

I am a tad bit of a conspiracy theory nut and I think all comes back to Agenda 21.

Reaction score
This is a gardening forum not a political platform.

On that statement, we are in agreement. Which, is why I will not be baited by the loyal friends of the regulators and the enemies of business, small and large. Kindly stop trying to draw me into this thread again, headfullofbees. We are polar opposites regarding this issue.

Reaction score
Read the whole thread!!!!!
The EU has no intention of criminalising or controlling gardeners who save or swap seeds, or, for that matter, firms with less than ten employees.
Now it doesn't matter what is classed in general terms as a "big company" in the US or even the EU for that matter; a SEED COMPANY which employs more than TEN PEOPLE is a big SEED COMPANY, and it's ONLY THEY who will be affected.
Oh, my bad! Forgive me! That makes it a little better, but now I'm even more confused. What is the purpose of the law? I wasn't under the impression that large seed companies used their seed (sorry if I'm wrong there). Actually I can't think of an example of a large company that uses saved seed.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
The case of Monsanto Canada Inc. v. Schmeiser has been a controversial one that shows what can happen to a farmer who saves seeds. Yes, there are/were (the cost of legal fees to fight a corporation are often not worth the effort) farmers of large scale farms who saved seeds for commercial production of crops. When seeds have patents held by a few large companies food production becomes more of a monopoly. Monsanto has tried to patent many heirloom varieties in a number of countries claiming them as their property.
A quote from Henry Kissinger, “
  • Who controls the food supply controls the people; who controls the energy can control whole continents; who controls money can control the world.
    • Variant: Control oil and you control the nations; control food and you control the people."
It is all much bigger than myself, but I find it a curious thing to watch.

Countries that have banned and/or removed Monsanto: Austria, Bulgaria, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Japan, Luxembourg, Madeira, New Zealand, Peru, South Australia, Russia, France, and Switzerland. India, the country who has suffered the most is coming close to entering a 10 year ban on Monsanto also.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Oh, my bad! Forgive me! That makes it a little better, but now I'm even more confused. What is the purpose of the law? I wasn't under the impression that large seed companies used their seed (sorry if I'm wrong there). Actually I can't think of an example of a large company that uses saved seed.
The purpose is to control big agro-business by forcing them to get their seeds approved for use.
It's nothing to do with individuals or small companies which fulfil our want for varieties OUTSIDE the usual.
In fact, by raising the costs for the big seed companies in relation to the most popular niche/heirloom varieties, it may discourage them from that market altogether, making small companies who provide that service more viable, as large companies will only be interested in the more lucrative heirloom varieties, making it harder for small companies to survive on the rest.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
The case of Monsanto Canada Inc. v. Schmeiser has been a controversial one that shows what can happen to a farmer who saves seeds. Yes, there are/were (the cost of legal fees to fight a corporation are often not worth the effort) farmers of large scale farms who saved seeds for commercial production of crops. When seeds have patents held by a few large companies food production becomes more of a monopoly. Monsanto has tried to patent many heirloom varieties in a number of countries claiming them as their property.
A quote from Henry Kissinger, “
  • Who controls the food supply controls the people; who controls the energy can control whole continents; who controls money can control the world.
    • Variant: Control oil and you control the nations; control food and you control the people."
It is all much bigger than myself, but I find it a curious thing to watch.

Countries that have banned and/or removed Monsanto: Austria, Bulgaria, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Japan, Luxembourg, Madeira, New Zealand, Peru, South Australia, Russia, France, and Switzerland. India, the country who has suffered the most is coming close to entering a 10 year ban on Monsanto also.
Sorry, but big farming companies fighting big seed companies, is, frankly, not my concern here.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Not here either.

How many of the hundreds of thousands of people who use coffee grounds or beer to deter slugs have been prosecuted under this legislation or the 27-y-o British law?

Our government, whilst acknowledging the EU rules has indicated they are highly unlikely to bring any prosecutions if someone sprays some aphids with soapy water.

Gardening magazines, tv shows & forums over here usually put a disclaimer at the end of articles of that nature, so they're not seen as encouraging it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Our government, whilst acknowledging the EU rules has indicated they are highly unlikely to bring any prosecutions if someone sprays some aphids with soapy water.

Gardening magazines, tv shows & forums over here usually put a disclaimer at the end of articles of that nature, so they're not seen as encouraging it.
Selling it isn't encouraging it?
You know, and I know, that the reason for a blanket ban is that agro-business would use anything, no matter how harmful, if it meant more profits, and although some common substances may technically breach the law, the EU has no intention whatsoever of prosecuting gardeners who kill slugs with beer or coffee grounds.
This is all a distraction from the topic under discussion anyway:
that was that the EU was making seed-saving and swapping illegal for gardeners.
It has been shown that this is not the case.
Headfullofbees locuta est, causa finite est. lol.

Ask a Question