The eu is preparing legislation that will make it illegal to use saved seed!

Reaction score
I think this doesn't make sense, I mean what's the purpose behind restricting residents from growing their garden from seeds?
Anyway, I think all households should be given the freedom to grow their own garden using any seeds they want to. It has a great benefit for the environment.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
How is it these people have nothing better to do? Why would they want to prevent people from saving seeds? The only benefit in doing that is for the companies that sell seed to be able to make more money. With all the things that need legislating, why spend time and money even discussing this?

Reaction score
Ten employees is a large business? It's regulations like this that discourage economic growth. Why is it okay for the government to interfere and destroy these smaller companies of ten or even twenty, who likely are less equipped to handle the regulations than the government's friends in larger corps with their teams of lawyers and lobbyists? It's always the smaller businesses that suffer the most. I would define a small business as less than a hundred employees, not ten. Wow!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Ten employees is a large business? ...I would define a small business as less than a hundred employees, not ten. Wow!

In the U.S. a small business IS defined as one with less than five hundred employees. However, the number of employees isn't the only determining factor. Check out this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_business

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Ten employees is a large business? It's regulations like this that discourage economic growth. Why is it okay for the government to interfere and destroy these smaller companies of ten or even twenty, who likely are less equipped to handle the regulations than the government's friends in larger corps with their teams of lawyers and lobbyists? It's always the smaller businesses that suffer the most. I would define a small business as less than a hundred employees, not ten. Wow!
It's not.
It's controlling large agribusiness.
Over ten employees is a big seed company.
Most heirloom/niche seed producers are couples with amateur help.
Really, it's not our concern.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
How is it these people have nothing better to do? Why would they want to prevent people from saving seeds? The only benefit in doing that is for the companies that sell seed to be able to make more money. With all the things that need legislating, why spend time and money even discussing this?
Once again, they are not trying to stop amateur gardeners or seed-swop groups.

Reaction score
Thats ridiculous! Saving seeds is a lot cheaper, and lets you protect diversity. Honestly this feels fishy; I feel like a big seed or vegetable company is behind this or something (not to sound like a conspiracy theorist). I just can't think of any other reason such a piece of legislation got through. I could understand a law that limited extremely invasive species ( such as english ivy), but vegetables are useful and not purely ornamental, and generally they aren't very invasive. I don't feel the government has a right to tell me what I can or cannot do within the privacy of my own back yard. I'm definitely signing.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Thats ridiculous! Saving seeds is a lot cheaper, and lets you protect diversity. Honestly this feels fishy; I feel like a big seed or vegetable company is behind this or something (not to sound like a conspiracy theorist). I just can't think of any other reason such a piece of legislation got through. I could understand a law that limited extremely invasive species ( such as english ivy), but vegetables are useful and not purely ornamental, and generally they aren't very invasive. I don't feel the government has a right to tell me what I can or cannot do within the privacy of my own back yard. I'm definitely signing.
Read the whole thread!!!!!
The EU has no intention of criminalising or controlling gardeners who save or swap seeds, or, for that matter, firms with less than ten employees.
Now it doesn't matter what is classed in general terms as a "big company" in the US or even the EU for that matter; a SEED COMPANY which employs more than TEN PEOPLE is a big SEED COMPANY, and it's ONLY THEY who will be affected.

Reaction score
I don't see what business they have regulating seeds for any size business. Headfullofbees obviously has no problem with this kind of regulation, but I do. Big or small has nothing to do with it. Some of us buy seeds from huge corporations and want to continue to do so. Some of us prefer smaller shops. That's fine, too. Some of us do both. So what?

The issue is over the rightful and/or legal role of government. Some people think government should spend all it's time restricting and controlling voluntary trade and business transactions. I don't. The only action the government rightly should have is to oversee any legal charges that go to court for damages AFTER supposedly invasive species or harmful seeds have been proven to have damaged someone else's property. That's my final thought on this topic.

Reaction score
Signed.

I've just about had enough of the EU sticking its fingers into our gardening, first they stop us using beer to trap slugs, then they make it illegal to feed chickens kitchen scraps, they've withdrawn Bordeaux mixture and you can't use Sulphur on mold anymore:mad:

No wonder UKIP is gaining seats.
What's their rational for outlawing beer to trap slugs...Animal rights?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
No, they won't let us use anything that hasn't been tested, and as the tests are so expensive no one will pay to have something tested unless they can make a profit from it. So all the old traditional methods are illegal.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I don't see what business they have regulating seeds for any size business. Headfullofbees obviously has no problem with this kind of regulation, but I do. Big or small has nothing to do with it. Some of us buy seeds from huge corporations and want to continue to do so. Some of us prefer smaller shops. That's fine, too. Some of us do both. So what?

The issue is over the rightful and/or legal role of government. Some people think government should spend all it's time restricting and controlling voluntary trade and business transactions. I don't. The only action the government rightly should have is to oversee any legal charges that go to court for damages AFTER supposedly invasive species or harmful seeds have been proven to have damaged someone else's property. That's my final thought on this topic.

I don't suppose it has crossed your mind that regulating the big boys out of the niche/heirloom market will in fact make that sector more lucrative for the small companies, and may, in fact almost certainly will, increase both the diversity of seed and its availability?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
No, they won't let us use anything that hasn't been tested, and as the tests are so expensive no one will pay to have something tested unless they can make a profit from it. So all the old traditional methods are illegal.
Which EU statute bans the use of homemade beer traps for slugs?

Ask a Question