Terra Cotta Clay Planters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There was an old lady reminiscing on the radio about having a candle under a terracotta pot to stop the windows freezing in winter, it works to stop my greenhouse freezing, though candles are dear enough I have made a little paraffin lamp.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I don't have a greenhouse, but I use Elixir TH01B 60w greenhouse heaters in my jukeboxes in our summerhouse during the winter, I bought on eBay
They are quite effective, they've sold loads of them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
As I said before, good use for 2 classic conical clay plant pots - make a Tandoor. 2x 24inch pots, a steel drum, some fire bricks and fire clay and a sack of vermiculite. Unfortunately the pots are so freakin expensive theses days, by the time you but all the stuff you might as well but one ready made and get all the skewers and tools as well. I keep hinting towards birthday and Christmas time that my Murgh Makhani (Butter Chicken) - Corinne's favorite Indian dish - would be so much better if I had a real Tandoor! Not mention my Tandoori Chicken itself, Naan, Seekh Kebab and other good stuff... However one has not materialized yet.

Don't get the idea that I think it's the ONLY good use for them, but it is probably one of the best if you cna get them cheap. $94 + tax is a bit spendy in my opinion - and as y'all know, I not the least bit opinionated.... :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
In place of candles, nite-lites are better and cheaper. One nite-lite will last all night. Paraffin is quite costly in the UK plus harmful vapour can be given off to plants, even from small burners.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a large one in the greenhouse, upside down with an oil lamp under it it gives enough heat to keep the frost off. I run a three quarter inch copper tube from the hole in the top of the inverted pot to a hole in the ceiling to stop getting fumes in the greenhouse. Before that I used to use a spirit lamp, but paraffin burns hotter and is much cheaper than methyl alcohol, without the chimney though it makes it very humid, and if it burns badly for some reason the fumes are not good for the plants.

Ask a Question