Terra Cotta Clay Planters

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
We've used them in the past and we still have a large one by the front door for a couple of clematis including a large myleen.

P1030935.JPG

P1030936.JPG

But I don't like them. We use glazed ceramic ones, mostly green though a few are a sort of greeny-brown.

"I like symmetry."

P1030888.JPG

The problem with "pot" of any kind is that they hold the heat in hot weather. Ours are on plastic pot moovers, so the base of the pots don't get as much heat through contact with the patios. But at the moment they need watering every day.

Fortunately, the front of the house is North facing so that one doesn't get a lot of sun, so not very warm.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
One of the reasons why terracotta pots crack, is the way some are made, air gets into the clay during the manufacturing process.
So they can "blast" out or crack.
My pot movers keep our exterior glazed ones off the ground, so they don't get so cold in winter. The soil in ours is mostly compost so there's room for the water to expand if it freezes. Our have been OK for years, but they can break if they fall over

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Plant Hardiness Zone 6b - near border 6a, Heat Zone 7
Country
United States
I don't move pots inside...mostly. But I prefer pots that are tougher than terracotta. We have fairly mild winters...some hard freezes but it could get to sunny and 50-60 any given month. Every terracotta pot here shattered. Some may have lasted into a second season but not many. Any many were just reduced to rubble. I tried the old trick people mention painting the insides with waterglass. It didn't stop mild freezes from killing the pots. So, I gave up on them. YMMV.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It depends on what is planted in them, moisture requirements of the plant and temp/climate of the area. If weight is an issue again not the best. And they can also crack. Plastic does have its moments.

Ask a Question