Sunburnt hollyhock

RandallJ.

Dream within a dream
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a, 7b
Country
United States
So my moms friend gave us a pretty big hollyhock plant. I dug it up transplanted it in the front yard because i read that hollyhock like direct sunlight. I didnt realize though that apparently after you transplant a plant from one spot to the next it goes into shock and is i guess more susceptible to damage from direct sunlight. All the leaves are dried up and crumbly and i don't think it'll make it.

My question is do plants that prefer direct sunlight still need some shade? And is there any way to save this plant? Also I'm in central New Mexico. Very hot and dry.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
Well it depends on where the plant was before you moved it. If it was in partial shade before you moved it, then full sunlight will be hard on it. A transition period is best before planting it in the full sunlight.

When they talk about a plant needing full sunlight, they are really saying 8-12 hours of full sunlight.

As far as saving it goes, the best thing you can do is make sure it stay well watered for a month or more but keep in mind that hollyhocks are biennials and if the plant is more than 2 years old, it may not come back.

Ask a Question