Suitable shrub along glass pool fence (Perth, Australia)

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hello,
We had newly planted lilly pilly's (allyn magic) along our pool fence when we moved in to this home last year. Our first Perth summer and they got scorched - they get full sun until about 4pm and summer temps reach 40 deg. Celsius... We've tried mulch, shade cloth and hand watering but they haven't recovered. There's a lot of heat reflected from the glass pool fence they're next to.

Is replanting allyn magic's advisable if we improve the soil, add thick mulch and maybe add a wetting agent (would they survive once established) or is this area better suited to a different type of plant?

You can see the lilly pilly's on the other side of the path are shaded by taller shrub, but those are also struggling in the recent heat.

I'd be very grateful for any recommendations!
Thank you.
Garden1.jpg
Garden2.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
We grow a relative of those here and I've noticed that they do same here when it gets that hot. You might try visiting a parking lot and looking at the varieties they use to find something a little tougher.
One thing you might try is Coast Rosemary, Westringia. They do really well here. Culinary Rosemary, Rosmarinus, might work too.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
@GrylledBear , welcome to the forums :)
It would seem that the glass wall is a bad enemy to your plants, and it may be worth taking down in favour of a fence that lets the plants breathe a bit.
As for plants, it might be best to stick to natives in those hot conditions, like Ceratopetalum gummiferum, Callistemon (bottle brush) Acacia lasiocarpa (coastal wattle) or Banksia attenuata.
My daughter finds that Agapanthus is a tough plant in her hot dry garden in Queensland - although it doesn't seem to be so dry this summer :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I think the humidity in Queensland might make it easier on plants. Agree on the natives for options if they’re from around the local area. More likely to handle the extra heat and dry air.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think the humidity in Queensland might make it easier on plants. Agree on the natives for options if they’re from around the local area. More likely to handle the extra heat and dry air.
I agree, especially this summer there. The plants I mentioned are, as far as I believe, all native to Western Australia.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
G'ay Grylled Bear,
It's been a constant heatwave in Perth this year. I'm surprised anything survived those 40 C temperatures.
You will have to add water retentive soil (such as compost or bentonite clay) if your soil is sandy.
Natives like pincushion hakea, desert rose, Sturt desert pea, ruby saltbush, are some that I grow without much summer watering once they are established. So Autumn is the time to plant - once the heatwaves are over.
Others that will survive are artemisia, salvias, geraniums (pelargoniums) and probably buddleias, hollyhocks, penstemon and abutilons.
None of these seem to be burnt off but none of them are alongside glass either.
You've had a tough initiation let's hope the heat is over and the 'doctor' winds arrive.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, welcome to the forum.
'Lilly Pilly' is a new name to me, so I looked it up, it looks like an excellent plant, but I am afraid your climate is outside my area of knowledge so I will stick to saying 'welcome', and I am glad to see you have a fair few suggestions, salvias I particularly liked.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
That Lilly Pilly is a dwarf pruned hedge of green color with new red leaves. It matches the other side so you would have to replant it to be faithful to the original design.
Ruby saltbush and artemisia would probably perform similarly in size and shape but both are blue grey in color.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Thank you to everyone for the super helpful replies and the welcome to the forum.
Some great options re. planting and soil conditions which also helped me realise I can nip over to the Perth botanical gardens to see what's growing in full sun there too.
Thanks again! I'll see how we go and do some prep for autumn planting :)

Ask a Question