Potatoes Frozen - Still Suitable as Seed Potatoes?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I planted some Charlotte potatoes in containers in July (saved from previous year's harvest). I had planned to harvest them as I needed them, but in the recent deep freeze all the containers have frozen solid. I'm assuming they won't be edible, but will they be viable as seed potatoes?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Edible or useful as seed.
If you have ever seen "volunteer" potatoes come up after being in the ground all winter (I don't believe anyone is that conscientious that they haven't), you'll know they've seen off frosts & the like.
Frost kills the foliage but rarely the tubers.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
True, but they taste different, I think some of the starches convert to sugars. Some time ago I read a piece about Andean tribes who have always used potatoes, apparently boiled like we do them they regard as inedible and they use various techniques including freezing and anaerobic decomposition in spring water to produce various flours that they then use.

I am not sure how far down into the ground frost penetrates, but I am pretty sure I have used ones that have been in the shed and frozen at some point.

Ask a Question