Strawberry Seedlings What's happened?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon all!

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what has happened with my strawberry seeds?

I seeded 2/3 per cell of Unwins Florian seeds and was initially pleased to see some green appearing. However as you can see from the photo these have mostly turned out not as I was expecting at all.

Are these all runners? I have one tiny planet developing with leaves as I'd thought they'd all be.

I'm a complete novice re gardening - this is our first attempt to propogate some seeds, so not sure if this is basically at the point of failure?

Thanks for reading and any help anyone may be able to provide...

IMG_20240316_100508_copy_969x1443.jpg

W

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That looks like onions coming up to me. That one little clover looking plant might be a strawberry.

Have you still got any of that seed left to take a picture of?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That looks like onions coming up to me. That one little clover looking plant might be a strawberry.

Have you still got any of that seed left to take a picture of?
😂 Haha - Thank you!

I have to report human error here...

I saw your reply and was instantly thrown by your comments re onions, which, strangely enough (!), were the only seeds I'd planted which seemed to be failing...

Anyway, a quick check back to the initial picture I'd taken of the propogator, shows that at some point the strawberries & onions labels had been mixed up!

So my onions are in fact doing fine. The strawberries not so much...

Thanks for your spot 👍

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You have a nice planting of onions.

I've never tried strawberry seed but I vaguely remember it being somewhat challenging to sprout those so seems like your doing good to me.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Did it once ages ago with alpine strawberries, as I remember I put them on wet tissue in an old margarine tub in the airing cupboard and they took an age to germinate, almost gave up.
Funny thing is I had a wee look at them this morning and the first speckle of green has now appeared in the strawberry row! So hopefully, with a bit of luck, we'll manage to get some strawberries to join the onions after all!

Ask a Question