Something's feasting on strawberry leaves...

Reaction score
Country
United States
trying to get some strawberry plants going for this year. Have 6 all together. they all look decent except in the last few weeks I've noticed leaves bitten off at the stem. Had a few strawberries going and those are gone with whatever was above the bite.
Garden has rabbit fence around it so those little guys shouldn't be in there. And I have noticed anything else eaten. I've read here or there of a couple different scenarios but looking for those with experience on what is the most likely culprit and what the suggestion solutions are.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Country
Canada
It could be countless things. A few pics would help but the best way to know for sure is check on and under the leaves morning evening and at night with a flashlight until you see what exactly is munching on them.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
If you think there is a possibility of it being rabbit, groundhog etc put down a planed smooth pine board or two and give the soil a little bit of moisture on-top
Whatever it is, if an animal will leave dirt paw prints ontop of the board if it steps on it. Then you will know exactly what critter it is if it is one. Cardboard on the ground would work too.

Reaction score
Country
United States
good points, thanks.
Since I'm not seeing much if anything else even touched in the garden except for these strawberries, I'm leaning away from the likelihood of furry critters. I have lettuce going in the garden and that is completely untouched. never seen a rabbit resist a large patch of lettuce so far....
I'll roll with checking under the leaves and take a few pics, reply back.

One of the strawberry farms said as a good cover for multiple possibilities, they have seen really good results of Capt Jack natural Deadbug Brew.

Reaction score
Country
United States
trying to get some strawberry plants going for this year. Have 6 all together. they all look decent except in the last few weeks I've noticed leaves bitten off at the stem. Had a few strawberries going and those are gone with whatever was above the bite.
Garden has rabbit fence around it so those little guys shouldn't be in there. And I have noticed anything else eaten. I've read here or there of a couple different scenarios but looking for those with experience on what is the most likely culprit and what the suggestion solutions are.

Thanks!
Get a trail camera for about $30 and put it next to the strawberries.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
I snapped some pics this morning. more leaves bitten off but when checking under the leaves I'm not seeing anything.
That Capt Jack spray came in last night, but since I don't know what is the culprit I'm cautious if that will do much.
Good point on the trail cam though.

Attachments

• IMG_5031.jpeg
    IMG_5031.jpeg
    350.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5030.jpeg
    IMG_5030.jpeg
    173.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5028.jpeg
    IMG_5028.jpeg
    382.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5029.jpeg
    IMG_5029.jpeg
    276.3 KB · Views: 9
Reaction score
Country
Canada
If it was slugs or caterpillars I would think there would be leaves partially damaged. That looks like something is bitting the entire leaves off to the stem. Although I never had to deal with rabbits in my garden I would think they would bite off all the leaves on the plant not just a few then move onto another plant. I've no idea what it could be?

Reaction score
Country
United States
That was my thought process too. when rabbits eat anything else they usually start from the outside and keep chomping until the majority of whatever leaf is eaten. Plus there are some leaf clusters that are simply bitten in half, and nothing else on the stem or leaves were touched.
Guess I'll try the spray and see if anything changes over the next night or two.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Deer love strawberry leaves. They will clean you out in one night. From the pics it has to be some sort of animal.

MOD

Reaction score
Country
United States
Good point but so far I haven’t seen any animal tracks in the garden, big or small. If that other spray doesn’t work I might try the liquid skunk spray deterrent.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
When I had chickens I used something called sour apples, it's a spray used to keep them from pecking each other. I don't think it would hurt the plant leaves but I would test it on one first if you try it. At least there would be no smell but would make the leaves taste horrible.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think the concept is the same. The skunk stuff doesn’t smell great when you’re first spraying but it must taste absolutely horrible. I’ve used it on hastas when they’re first budding in the spring and the rabbits stay far far away. It washes off after a bit of rain so I don’t think it would stay on the berries long.

Ask a Question