Looking for end-of-season Guidance for Strawberry Plants

Reaction score
Country
United States
I liven Zone 7A. After planting my strawberry plants in mid-March, the plants are growing good and strong. I'm looking for advice on how to end the season:

June-bearing Strawberry plants - I cut them back in Late August, down the crown. I took advantage of the leaves being gone to ensure they aren't over-crowded. I have no more than 1 plant per square foot, however they've left their matted rows. They have grown back, but are still shorter than the Day Neutral plants which I did not cut back.

My plan is to apply fertilizer and leave them uncovered until Late November-Early December, allowing them to go dormant before I throw some straw on top of them.

Please Critique.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I am zone 5B and never cover my strawberry beds. Also ferted and cut down after fruiting. Not much esle unless you have micronutrients deficancies. Usually happens after a couple seasons in the same soil if no compost is added.

You can cut off any extra runners so it works on the roots and not new runers. Maybe not if your area has bald spots.

MOD

Ask a Question