Strawberry patch relocation?

Reaction score
Country
United States
IMG_7436.jpeg
IMG_7433.jpeg
IMG_7435.jpeg
IMG_7439.jpeg

Hello looking for advice on my strawberry patch.

This patch is going on its third season. It was started from 4 original plants in 2022.

Last season was great 2023 because it had quadrupled in size and I had tons of fruit.

This season a lot of grass made its way into the patch so I started to weed it. But now I’m thinking it will far easier to take a bunch of starter plants and simply relocate to a new area of the garden.

What do you think the best route would be moving forward.

Also can I just plant the crown I’m holding into the ground in the new patch area?

I’m in San Diego if that makes any difference. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_7433.jpeg
    IMG_7433.jpeg
    423.1 KB · Views: 3
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Yeah relocate. Prepare the new bed. Leave the crown but remove all leaves except the newest, most perfect ones nearest the crown. Trim roots a bit. Consider irrigation. mulching and adding herbs and flowers to create pest deterrents.
IMG_3464.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Right now is bareroot shipping season in the US. Buying a pack of bareroot strawberry plants is another option. I have relocated and planted bareroot both work great.

I have tried different varities. The one that need less work are staying. Other that dont perform are gone so if yours grow well transplanting might be best. With the bareroot you might end up with a variety that doesnt grow well for you.

Good luck

MOD

Ask a Question