Straw storage

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am purchasing a block of 21 small bales of straw to use in the community garden this fall and next spring, but most of it won’t be used until the spring and I need to store it over the winter and I need to figure out the best way to store it. I have an old greenhouse that is pretty broke down but we use it as a storage shed because the roof still keep the rain off of everything. If I stack them on pallets inside this greenhouse and cover them with an extra tarp will they be OK? Or do I need to worry about ants or other pests or something getting into them if it’s not completely closed off from outside?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I am purchasing a block of 21 small bales of straw to use in the community garden this fall and next spring, but most of it won’t be used until the spring and I need to store it over the winter and I need to figure out the best way to store it. I have an old greenhouse that is pretty broke down but we use it as a storage shed because the roof still keep the rain off of everything. If I stack them on pallets inside this greenhouse and cover them with an extra tarp will they be OK? Or do I need to worry about ants or other pests or something getting into them if it’s not completely closed off from outside?
Down here in Texas hay is stored in open sided barns with only a roof. Bales of hay/straw are tightly packed and water only penetrates to a small depth. Many, many times the big round bales are left in the fields, uncovered, for months at a time and they are still good.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Down here in Texas hay is stored in open sided barns with only a roof. Bales of hay/straw are tightly packed and water only penetrates to a small depth. Many, many times the big round bales are left in the fields, uncovered, for months at a time and they are still good.
Ok. I think I just needed some reassurance! The space I should have should work perfectly. Thanks!

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I produce about 200 round bales a year and store most of it outside. It does just fine. Using your old greenhouse for storage should be great. No problem but do watch out for mice who love to use straw for bedding. A free ranging cat would solve that problem.

Ask a Question