Steampunk garden anyone?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I'm a huge fan of the steampunk genre, and thought it would be interesting to incorporate it into a garden. Something about nature and steam powered gadgets, I think the juxtaposition would make for a great deal of interest. Here are some pictures I found. What do you think, would you add a few of these to your garden?

sp garden 7.jpg

sp garden 2.jpg

sp garden 3.jpg

sp garden 6.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I love the steam punk theme and would to love to weld some pieces together myself eventually. It is a great way to recycle and you cam make some very creative pieces.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Awesome whether it is Art, or landscape or ......?

Love it! Thanks galmal for posting

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
All these decorations are very creative and pretty! I especially like the aquarium in the first picture. I'd love to have something like this in my garden!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Here are couple of others, some look like I would actually be able to make them myself.

I like this one with the old water spigot knobs and rebar.
sp garden 1.jpg

This sculpture is pretty cold
sp garden 5.jpg

If you look at the top and bottom of the image, it looks like the base to an umbrella stand.
sp garden 8.jpg

This one looks like a neat wind chime, You could take a store bought one, remove the chimes and add old keys and tools and such.
sp garden 9.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
The re-use of found materials in garden spaces is an important idea. So many intriguing and useful containers, plant stands, stepping stones, retaining walls, furniture, trellises, and of course 'pure' art, can be made from society's discards.
Even cardboard mulch, shredded or whole, would be an example of such DIY re-use.

Rather than bemoaning the chips, scuffs, and rust of re-used material, we should recognize it as value added. To intentionally add such rustic patinas and effects on new materials requires added time, material and labour. Furthermore, the bespoke effects of time, individualize what was once mass-produced material, thereby turning the ubiquitous into the unique.

Whether any such creation would be considered 'steampunk', or any other style or genre, is a secondary aesthetic debate.

Ask a Question